GO FISHING, use SLABSAUCE Fishing Attractant

Thread: Painted the chrome trim today:

Default Painted the chrome trim today:

Trim came out great. I can't really show detail with my $100 crappy camera, but it came out much better than expected. Extremely happy with the results.

DUDE that looks sweeeeeeet! My question for you is how did you remove all the trim without breaking it? Also what materials did you use. Prepping etc..

nice, I want to do this to my trim!
    [1994 530i/5-Speed]

Quote Originally Posted by markus
    DUDE that looks sweeeeeeet! My question for you is how did you remove all the trim without breaking it? Also what materials did you use. Prepping etc..

Remove the trim with a flat head screwdriver. The clips WILL break, so don't worry about it. Make sure you sand well and clean off the trim with some rubbing alcohol before finally spraying. Apply a few layers of primer. Go to Wal-Mart and get Krylon primer and auto paint Flat black (with rust-stopper just for a pre-caution. I was afraid that once I sanded the chrome I would be susceptible to rust.) I didn't use a clear. I prefer the "flat" finish.

how many clips are there so i can order a few. also what girt sand paper did u use? I know u have to rough em up a little to get the primer to stick.

RUST ?? I thought the trims were stamped aluminum ? COrrect me if I'm wrong here ? You can use a magnet and test if there is any steel there, but I'm pretty sure you'll find its alum.
    I too am curious as to the number of clips needed and perhaps their part #'s and cost ?
    .....Looks great..........V'
    AC Schnitzer | S-5 | Stainless exhaust | Bodykit | wing| 3pc. wheels | badges | springs | mirrors | steerwheel |
    Schwarz on Blk

Etching primer for aluminum? Think I have seen it at Autozone or similar stores. I also think there are kits available for "blacking out" trim.
    Thanks,

1995 525i Auto, M50TU 2.5L, EAT chip, 1/95 build, USA, 205/65/15 tires, ASC+T, HID, lumbar, EC Mirror, BMW Alpine 5 radio with BMW-Pioneer CD Changer, abt 236k miles, Oxford Green/Parchment

+1 on how many clips.

also, can you drive around without the upper trim on for a day or two? i was thinking i'd have them powder coated a nice hinge-black. that wouold look soo sweet, but since i don't work at a p.c. shop anymore, i'd have to wait for them.

i assume the lower trim keeps water from pouring down into your door, so i'd do those another time.

Excellent results, my '94 has been dechromed already, I would like to do the same to my '93 if the weather would only hold off for a while!