GO FISHING, use SLABSAUCE Fishing Attractant

Thread: mysterious shimmy - desperate !!

Default mysterious shimmy - desperate !!

after I transplanted the new engine and tranny, I found that the front system is all old and needs repairing, so I bought the lower and upper thrust arms with the bushings and 2 new tie rods also I bought the center tie rod and 2 new stabilizing links. along with that I bought new brake pads and rotors since they were also warn out.

until now I still get heavy shimmy at around 50 - 55 m/h, it happens in a rough way that u need to apply strong braking or go slower than 30m/h not stop. it's more annoying when wheels are cold or in rainy weather.

I can't seem to identify the problem since nothing else is left. I have checked the bearings and they are tight and it's somewhere else.

this is the strangest shimmy I experienced in BMW cars, any ideas?!

Thanks

Edit: I have changed the engine oil yesterday and I noticed excess hydrolic leak from the steering box, so I would wonder that would a bad steering box cause the shimmy? the place was so tight so I couldn't check the mounting bolts yet.

Thanks again.
    Last edited by grave77; 12-17-2006 at 05:29 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by grave77
    after I transplanted the new engine and tranny, I found that the front system is all old and needs repairing, so I bought the lower and upper thrust arms with the bushings and 2 new tie rods also I bought the center tie rod and 2 new stabilizing links. along with that I bought new brake pads and rotors since they were also warn out.

until now I still get heavy shimmy at around 50 - 55 m/h, it happens in a rough way that u need to apply strong braking or go slower than 30m/h not stop. it's more annoying when wheels are cold or in rainy weather.

I can't seem to identify the problem since nothing else is left. I have checked the bearings and they are tight and it's somewhere else.

this is the strangest shimmy I experienced in BMW cars, any ideas?!

Thanks
    Check your steering box bolts - they may be loose. Had a most unsteady ride with my new '92 850i plus all the shakes. Did everything until I had the car jerked for alignment when the loose steering box was detected. Car now runs tight and steady - I can't seem to keep away from it.

Cheers
    Nzimiro

that sounds like what I have, they told me I have a bad steering box, but that might be the loosness. I will take it tomorrow. Thanks dude

hmm.. my mech told me i need a new box.. maybe i just need to tighten as well?
    -inc

'91 e31 850
    '90 e34 535
    '02 CBR F4i stunt/track bike
    '07 gsxr 750 stunt bike