GO FISHING, use SLABSAUCE Fishing Attractant
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: difficulties starting when cold?

Default difficulties starting when cold?

of course its gotten cold latley and one morning last week the temp fell pretty good and the ride was being stubborn to start..but after a few quick tries it relented and ran great. after that no probs.

due to the arrival of cold weather and its friend winter,

is anybody getting or had probs starting their cars when cold and want to share some of your findings.

thanks

dablack
    92-535

turns over a little more slowly, but still fires up
    _

use some nice 0w-30 or 40 synthetic oil, makes it seem like its summer spinning to start.
    95 E34 530I V2.37
    ===========
    Those who make peaceful revolution impossible will make violent revolution inevitable.

John F. Kennedy

Quote Originally Posted by DABLACK
    of course its gotten cold latley and one morning last week the temp fell pretty good and the ride was being stubborn to start..but after a few quick tries it relented and ran great. after that no probs.

due to the arrival of cold weather and its friend winter,

is anybody getting or had probs starting their cars when cold and want to share some of your findings.

thanks
    Dirty injectors causing bad spray pattern?

When the engine is cold, the misting quality of the injectors really comes into play. Gunk in the injector tip gets in the way of making a really fine mist which is needed to properly atomize the fuel in the cold conditions.

Run a tank of once-an-oil-change strength injector cleaner through it and see what happens. Make sure you spend some time at WOT to really flow the cleaner through the injectors.

sorry bsell what is WOT?
    my internet lingo is not so sharp

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by bsell
    Dirty injectors causing bad spray pattern?

When the engine is cold, the misting quality of the injectors really comes into play. Gunk in the injector tip gets in the way of making a really fine mist which is needed to properly atomize the fuel in the cold conditions.

Run a tank of once-an-oil-change strength injector cleaner through it and see what happens. Make sure you spend some time at WOT to really flow the cleaner through the injectors.

dablack
    92-535

Wide Open Throttle

Quote Originally Posted by Alexlind123
    You're my hero.

Quote Originally Posted by DABLACK
    sorry bsell what is WOT?
    my internet lingo is not so sharp

Thanks
    W= WIDE

O= OPEN

T= TWAT, oooops, I mean THROTTLE

10/90 Build 525im, 630,000+km, Eibach/Sachs, Engine Rebuild
    *RIP Oskar the DOG *

aka "italian tuneup"

my 5 fired up this morning despite it being -12. opened the passenger door to put the kid in, reached over, inserted the key and cranked it. my neighbor, who was sitting a few feet away burning the starter up on his car, wasn't amused.

Quote Originally Posted by rickm
    aka "italian tuneup"

my 5 fired up this morning despite it being -12. opened the passenger door to put the kid in, reached over, inserted the key and cranked it. my neighbor, who was sitting a few feet away burning the starter up on his car, wasn't amused.
    Learned it as a 'Porsche tune-up', as in people putter around with the old mechanical injection systems in the early 911's and clog up the intake/combustion chambers. So the mechanic gets into the car for the 'road test' and wrings the engine's neck a couple times, blowing all of that crap out of her lungs. Brings the car back to the parking spot and wala, the 'Porsche tune-up' is finished.

Of course this assumes all settings (spark plug gap, points gap, timing, valves, etc.) are square. There really is no substitute for some time spent with the throttle wide open and the engine in the upper third of it's rev range for cleaning out the upper end of the engine.

Mine lopes hard enough to stall out when the engine is completely cold and I just turn the key.
    I turn the key on, depress the accelerator to the floor once, release and it starts right up... after firing off once you don't need to do anything but turn the key until the next morning.
    Last edited by attack eagle; 12-09-2006 at 08:48 AM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast