GO FISHING, use SLABSAUCE Fishing Attractant
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Anyone in Oz have a car with Dunlop SP2000E tyres?

Default Anyone in Oz have a car with Dunlop SP2000E tyres?

I'd really like to know how you find them... am thinking about a new set atm. Also am looking at Michelin's of course. $$$

Join the Aussie
    540i LE yahoo forum

08/88 535i e34 M30+miller MAF, 'stiens, tints & teeth!

Quote Originally Posted by genphreak
    I'd really like to know how you find them... am thinking about a new set atm. Also am looking at Michelin's of course. $$$
    Have never driven on those Dunlops but you might be disapppointed with what you find in the Michelin range.

Just put 4 (French) Michelin Primacy tyres on my 528iT as my favourite Pilot HX MXM tyres are no longer available. The Primacy is the direct replacement for the Pilot, according to Michelin.

So far unimpresssed (especially at $ 495 per tyre). The tyre vendor promised I could take them back if I was disatissfied, and am seriously considering putting Continental Premium Contact 2 tyres on instead. The Primacy is very noisy and doesn't handle very well.

I now have the (French) Continentals on my 525i ($250 each) and even though they are harsher than the previous Pilots I feel they are quite good wrt roadholding & grip.

The alternative from Michelin for my 528iT was Pilot Prededa PP2 tyres but they were half the price & made in Thailand so I thought I was taking the better option.

I spoke to Michelin about all this and they basically said they will soon be sourcing all their tyres from Asia.

Michelin seem to have lost the plot if they discontinued such a great tyre as the Pilot HX MXM.

It just makes you wonder if they actually drive on them at all ?

The other thing they could do is make the Pilot Sport in more sizes.

"I'm not the village idiot.
    But when he retires I'm next on the list."

Thanks Zeuk,

I expect the tyres form Michelin's new factory will be very good- new proceses and tooling usually makes a huge difference. The costs of the environmental impact of such plants in the EU are high and higher costs of manufacturing there on the whole would be the major component that makes tyres more $500 each as opposed to the $300 a set as they can be had for from people that are pollute their part of our world. That is a huge difference in price due to other factors also... but I wouldn't go for a really shitty set ever...

These SP200Es are stock on performance e46s, just wondering what they are like wear wise in the heat... the price is high though (around $330 each in 225x55x16), only a little more than 4x higher than the cheapest SE Asian shitbags that aren't correctly speed-rated or perhaps properly made... I can handle that much extra for a real tyre!
    Last edited by genphreak; 11-16-2006 at 12:22 AM.

Join the Aussie
    540i LE yahoo forum

Haven't seen your car in the flesh so didn't know what tyre sizes you are running.

Same as my touring

FYI, my Primacy tyres were $495 each 225/55/16 95 W
    or Continental Premium Contact 2 tyres are $356 each.

BTW, took the touring for a few kms of spirited driving and have decided to stay with the Primacy Michelins.
    Last edited by Zeuk in Oz; 11-15-2006 at 10:18 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Zeuk in Oz
    Haven't seen your car in the flesh so didn't know what tyre sizes you are running.

Same as my touring

FYI, my Primacy tyres were $495 each 225/55/16 95 W
    or Continental Premium Contact 2 tyres are $356 each.

BTW, took the touring for a few kms of spirited driving and have decided to stay with the Primacy Michelins.
    That's my size too. Other one I was looking at was the Pirelli P6000 225/55 ZR16TL 95W (J)

But there are all those P-Zeros versions that they try to tempt one with also... I hate buying tyres!

Gotta love the old Italian marketing though;

P6000 is the choice of the most prestigious car manufacturers. Developed with PASS (Pirelli Active Safety System) technology, P6000 enhances the capability of existing safety systems on modern cars, by improving the performance of the "footprint", actively responding to changing road surfaces and variable operating temperatures.

The "wave" tread pattern design gives a unique fashionable look to the tyre which, together with the wide central groove, ensures excellent water expulsion. The silica-based compound not only offers exceptional performance on dry roads, but also maximum grip and safety in the wet.

Are the Pirellis a no go? The price is around $350 odd I think.

The cost on the Conti's Premier Contacts was $220 each...P225/55R16 94H. Hmmm so much difference! Did you get Pros? P225/55R16 94H
    They must be a lot stickier...
    Last edited by genphreak; 11-16-2006 at 01:00 AM.

Join the Aussie
    540i LE yahoo forum

Quote Originally Posted by genphreak
    That's my size too. Other one I was looking at was the Pirelli P6000 225/55 ZR16TL 95W (J)

But there are all those P-Zeros versions that they try to tempt one with also... I hate buying tyres!

Gotta love the old Italian marketing though;

P6000 is the choice of the most prestigious car manufacturers. Developed with PASS (Pirelli Active Safety System) technology, P6000 enhances the capability of existing safety systems on modern cars, by improving the performance of the "footprint", actively responding to changing road surfaces and variable operating temperatures.

The "wave" tread pattern design gives a unique fashionable look to the tyre which, together with the wide central groove, ensures excellent water expulsion. The silica-based compound not only offers exceptional performance on dry roads, but also maximum grip and safety in the wet.

Are the Pirellis a no go? The price is around $350 odd I think.

The cost on the Conti's Premier Contacts was $220 each...P225/55R16 94H. Hmmm so much difference! Did you get Pros? P225/55R16 94H
    They must be a lot stickier...
    Nick,

I would advise against the P6000 tyres. Had them on my Volvo 850 AWD and they were terrible.

I would also check your tyre placard - all E34s in Oz need V rated tyres, I think you will find.

If you drive on H rated when your tyre placard says V, insurance companies can wipe their hands of you when you need them most.

Has less to do with speed and more to do with quality of manufacture.

I would recommend the Premium Contact 2 tyres - mine on my E 34 (225/60/15 96W) were made in France.

Also look at the Michelin Preceda PP2 (at about $250 I think), but it is made in Thailand and I have had problems with Asian tyres before with respect of quality of manufacture.

Perhaps that is no longer the case - I just don't know.

The Conti Prem Contact 2 and the Michelin Preceda PP2 are almost identical patterns to the no longer available Milchelin Pilot HX MXM.

Go figure.

Good Luck,

Bo

Dear god, just for comparison, what did you guys pay for a pilot when they were available?
    1990 535i
    117,000mi
    Feederick, MD

If it has **** or tires, you are going to have problems.

interesting read, have you guys had any experience with continental sport contact 2......... premium contacts don't come in low profile

Germans: Why can't they make everything?

Quote Originally Posted by rob101
    interesting read, have you guys had any experience with continental sport contact 2......... premium contacts don't come in low profile
    Rob,

A friend of mine has them on his E46 and is happy with them.

Also look at the Michelin Pilot Sport.

Quote Originally Posted by Airborne001
    Dear god, just for comparison, what did you guys pay for a pilot when they were available?
    The last lot of Pilot HX MXM tyres I bought cost me $470 each.

Scared yet ? The result of a small economy and tyre companies that know when they have you by the short & curlies !

Car prices are just as inflated compared with the States or Europe.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast