GO FISHING, use SLABSAUCE Fishing Attractant
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: I can't taste my beer!

Default I can't taste my beer!

THat's what the characters would exclaim in horror in those humorous TV commercials.

Noob here. Bought my 1st BMW last week, 1995 530i, black/black, ~100K, no mods. I love the car. Liked the more luxury feel/look of the 5s over the 3s, and understood it'd be less "sporty" and make less noise.

Still, I'd like a bit more sound. I can't really hear my car untill I hit 4000 RPM. I can't taste my beer!

I've read the posts here on exhausts till my eyes are red, and I'm still learning. From my notes someone summed it up (here or on another site): "I'm looking for something like a deep, low, mellow, bassy growl....trying to stay away from the open, barking, sharp, farty sound...."

That pretty much sums it up. Oh, that, and I'm only interested in a moderate decibel increase as I'm no longer a young punk (But, man I sure wish I still was, however LOL).

I'm not interested in a straight Resonator delete, as I'm convinced (for my taste in tone/resonance) SOME sort of resonator/dampener (even if it's an X-pipe) is necessary prior to the muffler. I realize there are LOTS of resonator deletes in the forums; it's just not for me. I think we BMW drivers may be nearly as picky in the sound of our car as it's color.

If I'm missing the 'obvious' choice for a 530i...please let me know. I'm pretty much overwhelmed by the different flavors, and pretty bummed out there aren't more sound clips on the net for 530i exhaust upgrades. (dang, seems 90% of the BMW clips are for M3s or the 540i).

Got cash?

Remus make pretty good exhausts, are pretty expensive though. I think they come from Austria.

This clip is a 525i. I would assume that if you were to install a similar system in your 530i, it would most probably sound just as good, if not better.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XYEs43NmHg0

Punch a hole in your exhaust.

1992 525i 5 speed (Calypso/Parchment) - 1989 525iA (Schwartz/Natur) SOLD

open cat!

Quote Originally Posted by Alexlind123
    You're my hero.

Quote Originally Posted by SC David
    Punch a hole in your exhaust.
    Hey, impressionable noob here! Don't say something like that or I just might crawl under there w/a nail & hammer!

Actually, if we take a step back,a deep cleansing breath...and get over the apparent "absurdity" of the suggestion, I am a tad surprised this isn't something tried more often or AT LEAST experimented with and WRITTEN up on the net.

Think about it - there HAS to be a certain size/number/position of holes that would increase sound and not adversely impact Smog testing. Moreover, if one has already decided to drop several hundred on a new exhaust - why the heck not screw around with the old muffler that's likely just going to end up in a landfill anyway?

I'm probably NOT the one to try this experiment as I may end up punching holes in the gastank by mistake, but one of you more experienced dudes should try this out and write it up!

BTW, SC David, dude - what style and SIZE are those rims on your ride in your pic? Style 5? What size? They look real good on your car!
    Last edited by DoctorZaius; 11-05-2006 at 12:17 PM.

SuperSprint - mellow and a bit louder, but not annoying.

Anthony
    03/64 production

'91M5 - 11/90, was mine, it's Jim's now.

If it's an automatic, I wouldn't bother. They make performance mufflers sound like a Honda Civic with a fart canon. If your exhaust is good, leave it alone. Get something else if you need to change it. I did when mine crapped out and I hated it and went back to stock. I much prefer my car quiet now... Unless you start modding it and get a manual tranny, keep it stock.

That's my 2 cents...

Jeff
    I prefer to be misunderstood rather than having to explain myself all the time...

Quote Originally Posted by Anthony (M5 in Calgary)
    Looks line someone sat on it on the side in that that pic...

I agree, I have a 94 530i and think that "Its a v8 damnit, it should be a little louder."

And why the hell not

From my notes. Brief (and likely incomplete) Exhaust picture in here

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast