GO FISHING, use SLABSAUCE Fishing Attractant

Thread: Auxiliary water pump testing...

Default Auxiliary water pump testing...

Winter coming soon and i still have a cooling problem that i did not succed to poinpoint and solve.

My car is a 535-1989 americain version, manufactured 03/89. I need diagram and your tought about that.
    I suspect that the water pump is defective so i tried to test it. But i encountered the following bugs / strange situations:

1) i have the Bently manual but can't found out a diagram that show how exactly the aux. water pump is wired, details should be in pages EWD-123, 123, 124 but no trace at all of the water pump !! Does someone have access to an electronic version of a complete electrical diagram ?

2) when i test the waterpump motor (is internal resistor) i've got 100-150 ohms.

3) when i apply 12 volts directly to the pump respecting the polarization noting happend (no noise, no spark, no nothing) pump seems dead.

4) When i check the voltage and ground conditions at the connector feeding the waterpump, i've got the following all the time whatever the contact key position (either off, or the car running): I have a continuous ground condition on the brun wire (i think it's normal) but never get a 12 volts condition on the positive wire (red/blu/yel). I've got same results whatever the dial setting is at medium heat or at max clockwise position.

5) My waterpump relay test good (windding resistor in the range of 10 ohms).
    I also substitute relay #8 (the waterpump one) with relay #4 (the blower one) they are identical, got no change (blower still work fine, never a 12 volt on the waterpump connector).

6) I don't hear any noise either from the water valves but my diagnostic is that they are working normaly: when i raise the temperature setting on either side let say 5 deg more i feel almost immediatly a change in temp of the blowing air, but it gradualy fade out and stabilise until i settle to a higher temp. again and it fade out again. Net result is like if i want a 20deg C temp i must settle to 25 or more.

7) When i push the conductor temp dial setting fully clock wise i've got massive heat on both sides

Air blower is working normally in all position (0,1,2,3,4) i changed my sword last automn.

I suspected also my air/climate control unit, so i got an other one (brand new in BMW box) from Malaisia on eBay, part #64 11 8 390 002, supposed to replace those in any E34 before 01/90. I make the substitution without any amelioration.

I have a diagram block showing the 1HKR1 air / climate control module it help understand interactions between this control unit and interconnected pieces,

Any hint ?

heres a diagram. if the pump is dead its an easy replace. there's one on ebay right now here
    Last edited by Jehu; 10-09-2006 at 02:53 PM.
    1995 540i Manual build 1/95

Default Here's the wiring diagram for the aux pump. I would check the

fuses feeding both sides of the relay, but since your motor doesn't run even when wired direct, you have a bad motor anyway. Do you have power feeding into the relay;

Quote Originally Posted by Claude
    Winter coming soon and i still have a cooling problem that i did not succed to poinpoint and solve.

My car is a 535-1989 americain version, manufactured 03/89. I need diagram and your tought about that.
    I suspect that the water pump is defective so i tried to test it. But i encountered the following bugs / strange situations:

1) i have the Bently manual but can't found out a diagram that show how exactly the aux. water pump is wired, details should be in pages EWD-123, 123, 124 but no trace at all of the water pump !! Does someone have access to an electronic version of a complete electrical diagram ?

2) when i test the waterpump motor (is internal resistor) i've got 100-150 ohms.

3) when i apply 12 volts directly to the pump respecting the polarization noting happend (no noise, no spark, no nothing) pump seems dead.

4) When i check the voltage and ground conditions at the connector feeding the waterpump, i've got the following all the time whatever the contact key position (either off, or the car running): I have a continuous ground condition on the brun wire (i think it's normal) but never get a 12 volts condition on the positive wire (red/blu/yel). I've got same results whatever the dial setting is at medium heat or at max clockwise position.

5) My waterpump relay test good (windding resistor in the range of 10 ohms).
    I also substitute relay #8 (the waterpump one) with relay #4 (the blower one) they are identical, got no change (blower still work fine, never a 12 volt on the waterpump connector).

6) I don't hear any noise either from the water valves but my diagnostic is that they are working normaly: when i raise the temperature setting on either side let say 5 deg more i feel almost immediatly a change in temp of the blowing air, but it gradualy fade out and stabilise until i settle to a higher temp. again and it fade out again. Net result is like if i want a 20deg C temp i must settle to 25 or more.

7) When i push the conductor temp dial setting fully clock wise i've got massive heat on both sides

Air blower is working normally in all position (0,1,2,3,4) i changed my sword last automn.

I suspected also my air/climate control unit, so i got an other one (brand new in BMW box) from Malaisia on eBay, part #64 11 8 390 002, supposed to replace those in any E34 before 01/90. I make the substitution without any amelioration.

I have a diagram block showing the 1HKR1 air / climate control module it help understand interactions between this control unit and interconnected pieces,

Any hint ?
    Last edited by Bill R.; 11-03-2007 at 11:01 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Bill R.
    fuses feeding both sides of the relay, but since your motor doesn't run even when wired direct, you have a bad motor anyway. Do you have power feeding into the relay;

Thanks for your diagram Bill it really help. I have check both fuses and they are OK, but haven't check if there is voltage at the relay base, i'll do that. If not, it's to say that i have a cabling problem (no continuity from the fuses) but i don't see what may have cause that.

Q1- According to you may i check with an analogue ohm meter the ground condition that the integrated climate control module is suppose to give on pin 4/86 of the relay ?

Q2- having 100-150 ohms between the motor winding i was expected some reaction when applying directly to it the 12 volts and the ground... but niet... That's probably a serie motor with carbon brushs and those are probably completly worn out. Is this motor a seal one ? could we simply replace the brushs ?

Quote Originally Posted by Jehu
    heres a diagram. if the pump is dead its an easy replace. there's one on ebay right now here

Thanks for the eBay link Jesu.

Quote Originally Posted by Bill R.

I found out... I got 12v directly to the pump wire, my previous statement was wrong because i was testing that specific condition with the contact key in position 2 (not in start position or car running), but it happen that the 12 volts appears ONLY when the car is running.

That's a good new, so no relay or cabling problem

I also tested the continuity / internal resistor of the water valve relay, both are good.

I tried again to feed the water pump directly with 12 v but this time i put a stethoscope on the water pump... heard nothing.

My conclusion: Even if i measure 100-150 ohms of resistance on the pump, it's not operational / no good, i'll have to replace it.

Q: Because i did'nt had a complete open condition (infinite resistance) of the water pump, is it possible that the pump be good and so quiet that it generate no noise at all when it operates ?

My pump seems to be working all the time with the ignition on and whatever combination of the heater dials. This isn't quite right, correct ?

Quote Originally Posted by Claude
    Does someone have access to an electronic version of a complete electrical diagram ?
    http://shark.armchair.mb.ca/~dave/BMW

1997 535i V8
    5spd, OBC, A/C, cruise, BMW phone, factory M-Tech wheel & suspension, 18" Alpinas

Quote Originally Posted by Sidney Rough-Diamond
    My pump seems to be working all the time with the ignition on and whatever combination of the heater dials. This isn't quite right, correct ?
    Does your pump vibrate?
    Different version of the IKHR may operate the pump differently?

RussC

Quote Originally Posted by RussC
    Does your pump vibrate?
    Different version of the IKHR may operate the pump differently?

RussC
    It's very noisey, that's for sure.Car is a 1994 540 UK car.