Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 21

Thread: Diagnostic reader

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Vorselaar, Antwerp, Belgium
    Posts
    101

    Default Diagnostic reader

    Hey folks,

    I wish to buy some equipment to read fault codes etc from my car. I have the BMW carsoft 6.5 software, but I still need the cable..
    Anyone know good resources for those cable (and shipping to Europe)?

    I've found this on ebay: http://cgi.benl.ebay.be/Bmw-Diagnost...QQcmdZViewItem
    But maybe I can find it cheaper?

    Thanks!!
    '93 BMW E34 525 TD Touring - 2.5l

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    Sydney, Australia
    Posts
    4,360

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by mitch2k
    Hey folks,

    I wish to buy some equipment to read fault codes etc from my car. I have the BMW carsoft 6.5 software, but I still need the cable..
    Anyone know good resources for those cable (and shipping to Europe)?

    I've found this on ebay: http://cgi.benl.ebay.be/Bmw-Diagnost...QQcmdZViewItem
    But maybe I can find it cheaper?

    Thanks!!
    There was someone selling them on www.ebay.com.au for $200 (much cheaper) but I think they might have been Hong Kong based. Try the hk ebay instead maybe- search for completed items also .

    BTW; I'm sure I've seen a USB version with OBDII plugs as well.

    Join the Aussie
    540i LE yahoo forum

    08/88 535i e34 M30+miller MAF, 'stiens, tints & teeth!

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Location
    Middle England
    Posts
    286

    Default

    Why not just make a cable up as shown in the back of the Carsoft manual like this ?
    You don't really need the connector body that fits the BMW diagnostic socket - you can easily improvise one.
    Attached Images Attached Images   
    '90 535iSE Auto (AE+EAT) 123k miles
    '86 F288 69k miles
    '06('89)- PGE 2.0DOHC Turbo
    '03 A160LE 19k miles
    1914 Stellite E2A (no odometer!)
    (+ others I daren't mention here)
    www.pyghtle.com

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    Sydney, Australia
    Posts
    4,360

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by zygoteer
    Why not just make a cable up as shown in the back of the Carsoft manual like this ?
    You don't really need the connector body that fits the BMW diagnostic socket - you can easily improvise one.
    Stands to reason doesn't it! I thought it needed a breakout box, you certainly did with the older Carsoft versions. That diagram looks like good news... I'd be very careful though, there is 12VDC in that connector. RS232 won't like that one bit. Nick

    Join the Aussie
    540i LE yahoo forum

    08/88 535i e34 M30+miller MAF, 'stiens, tints & teeth!

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Vorselaar, Antwerp, Belgium
    Posts
    101

    Default

    It looks too easy...

    So it should work with this? http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/BMW-2...32322362QQrdZ1
    '93 BMW E34 525 TD Touring - 2.5l

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    Sydney, Australia
    Posts
    4,360

    Default

    Yes, that might be the same vendor. Now I come to think of it the vendor was Shanghainese, I checked their history out back when I saw it, some time ago. I've NFI it would work, but it looks good. If you do get it, let us know how it goes- but be sure to **check** all the connections against your car's schematics **before plugging it in**, I wouldn't risk my DME or laptop to a Chinese mistake very readily.

    Join the Aussie
    540i LE yahoo forum

    08/88 535i e34 M30+miller MAF, 'stiens, tints & teeth!

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Location
    Middle England
    Posts
    286

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by genphreak
    ... I'd be very careful though, there is 12VDC in that connector. RS232 won't like that one bit. Nick
    The true EIA-RS232 specification is easily +/-12v tolerant, in fact most interface chips that are used are +/-25V tolerant (30V in some cases), however you are correct in that the automotive electrical environment is not computer 'friendly' due to spikes, so for this reason I also use an RS232 opto-isolator adapter to protect my laptop.
    '90 535iSE Auto (AE+EAT) 123k miles
    '86 F288 69k miles
    '06('89)- PGE 2.0DOHC Turbo
    '03 A160LE 19k miles
    1914 Stellite E2A (no odometer!)
    (+ others I daren't mention here)
    www.pyghtle.com

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Nashville, TN
    Posts
    982

    Default

    I assume this works with the motronic cars as wel - pre obd1 ?
    Derek A.
    90 535i 5 Speed - Style 5 17"

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Vorselaar, Antwerp, Belgium
    Posts
    101

    Default

    I've ordered the cable... I'll keep you guys updated!
    '93 BMW E34 525 TD Touring - 2.5l

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    Sydney, Australia
    Posts
    4,360

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by zygoteer
    The true EIA-RS232 specification is easily +/-12v tolerant, in fact most interface chips that are used are +/-25V tolerant (30V in some cases), however you are correct in that the automotive electrical environment is not computer 'friendly' due to spikes, so for this reason I also use an RS232 opto-isolator adapter to protect my laptop.
    Interesting. Does this mean you can put 12V down any of the pins without a problem?

    Join the Aussie
    540i LE yahoo forum

    08/88 535i e34 M30+miller MAF, 'stiens, tints & teeth!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Anyone in SE WI with a Peake Code Reader?
    By Shankster in forum 5 Series BMW
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 04-12-2008, 02:02 AM
  2. Replies: 5
    Last Post: 02-06-2006, 02:56 PM
  3. best source for peake code reader?
    By Russell in forum 5 Series BMW
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: 01-24-2006, 02:40 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •