GO FISHING, use SLABSAUCE Fishing Attractant
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Tyre manufacturer rant- or the price we pay to live in a small economy !

Default Tyre manufacturer rant- or the price we pay to live in a small economy !

After 60,000 km its time to replace the Michelins, so I ring up my local tyre shop who carries Michelin (no - we don't have a Tire-rack or similar in Oz) to be told that the Pilot HX MXM tyres I am after have been discontinued. Bugger, I say, as these Michelins are absolutely fan-bloody-tastic.

OK, I say, what have they been replaced with ?

Nothing, is the reply. All they can offer is some crappy long mileage economy tyre.

Bloody hell ! So I ring up Michelin who confirm both that the tyres I am after are discontinued and that they no longer bring an equivalent tyre into the country.

I then do some research into other tyres available in the same size from other manufacturers but am underwhelmed by my choices. Continental and Yokohama have a couple of likely candidates, but still not in the same class (Premium Contact II and C-drive).

Next step is to get on the phone to the large tyre chains to see if any have some still in stock. Third phone call - yes sir, there are 4 in Townsville !

Terrific, thats 3,000 km away.

Long story short, these tyres are, as I write this, being shipped to the closest dealer to me (50 km away) and will be available next week - at a cost ! ($400 each ! - ouch). These tyres are so good though, that it will be worth it !

All because our market is so small we get treated like a third world country by the large multinationals.

Stay tuned for my next exciting episode when I beat a tyre fitter over the head with my torque wrench because he uses a rattling gun.

Sorry for the rant - had to get it off my chest !

Time to buy some throwing stars that use lower profile tyres that are still imported.

"I'm not the village idiot.
    But when he retires I'm next on the list."

did the tyres really last 60,000km.. that seems like an awfully long time for a soft compound tyre!
    11/88 535iA

Quote Originally Posted by Michael999
    did the tyres really last 60,000km.. that seems like an awfully long time for a soft compound tyre!
    That is what I thought too, but they have so much grip I don't want to try anything else.
    I normally say not to buy a tyre that lasts longer than 40,000 km.
    I do live in a rural area though, so most of the driving is at 100 kph.

"I'm not the village idiot.
    But when he retires I'm next on the list."

try living in an economy thats only the size of one of your big cities.
    Gone but not forgotten

Michelin Pilot Primacy is the replacement tyre I think, although MXM's are still listed here in the UK.
    What about the Pirelli's? Toyo's are good too. Yokohamas do some wicked performance tyres.
    BMW E39 528i SE 1999
    BMW E34 525iA SE 1992
    BMW E34 535i SE 1988
    BMW E28 525i
    BMW E24 628 CSi

http://web.mac.com/johnstjohn1

Don't tempt fate, slap it and then taunt it!!

Quote Originally Posted by shuriken
    Michelin Pilot Primacy is the replacement tyre I think, although MXM's are still listed here in the UK.
    What about the Pirelli's? Toyo's are good too. Yokohamas do some wicked performance tyres.
    i was thinking about advan
    heheehehehehe
    shuriken you have alot of cars!!!!!!!

Germans: Why can't they make everything?

Default OK, I have to ask....

Why not buy new rims?

That way surely you could get the tyres you want (16s are plentiful and work very well on the e34). I had your rims on my e28 and ran 215/60s. If you bought 16x7 you could go 225 and get the best all round combination possible.

Then again, in that size the new Pilots would set you back a good $350, no? Still with $200 to go towards new rims, you would at least be subsidising the upgrade a little bit...

btw; I don't doubt your wisdom on the Pilots, it'd be worth driving to Cairns to get them- they are the best damn road tyre I've ever driven.

Join the Aussie
    540i LE yahoo forum

08/88 535i e34 M30+miller MAF, 'stiens, tints & teeth!

are the michelins really that good?My fronts(bridgestones are nearly gone) have done about 30 40 thosand kays i guess.You wait till i tell you what they are worth here!
    Gone but not forgotten

Quote Originally Posted by Paul in NZ
    are the michelins really that good?My fronts(bridgestones are nearly gone) have done about 30 40 thosand kays i guess.You wait till i tell you what they are worth here!
    Yea they are hot. Just an expensive compound I believe. They aren't cheap. My thinner wallet pops to 225/55 Firenzas (they are a budget Japanese tyre made by Toyo). They are light, sticky and hard wearing. Nothing special like the Pilots, but I can buy more than 2 for the same price as one Michelin

Join the Aussie
    540i LE yahoo forum

08/88 535i e34 M30+miller MAF, 'stiens, tints & teeth!

Quote Originally Posted by Zeuk in Oz
    ...Time to buy some throwing stars that use lower profile tyres that are still imported.
    YEP! I just fitted a set of Michelin Pilot Preceda PP2's on my 'T' Stars.
    4 x 235/17/ZR45's cost me $255.00 each plus $39.00 for the alignment.

This was after a major steering and suspension refresh.
    New Lemforder upper & lower arms (M5 aluminium), sway bar links, center and outer tie rods, spring pads, bump stops, dogbones, subframe mounts and a set of Eibach Prokit springs and Koni Sports adjustables.

So you could say my wallet lost a few kilos!!

Steering is very close to neutral with less initial understeer than standard.
    There is still a small amount of initial understeer but this is easily neutralised by a slight increase in throttle opening and any additional throttle just tightens the car into the turn nicely.

Ride is firm but not bone jarring. I'm hoping it may soften a little more.
    However the only thing I've yet to replace are the rear subframe mounts and it appears these are the cause of a slight 'Hippy, hippy, wobble' I've become aware of in the rear now everything else is fixed.

I'm going to rotate the Michelins every 5000kms.
    I'd be expecting at least 40,000kms... but 50,000kms or 60,000kms would be nice!
    Last edited by pundit; 09-05-2006 at 07:52 AM.

1990 E34 535iA, 215,000kms (130,000 miles).
    Dual Climate, Rear Headrests, Rollerblind, M-Tech Wheel,
    Memory Seats, EAT Chip, T-Stars.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast