GO FISHING, use SLABSAUCE Fishing Attractant
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: mounting an XM antenna

Default mounting an XM antenna

A friend of mine gave me XM today with the roady kit. I have it mounted inside but need to mount the antenna. If you have one, how did you run the antenna? I was going to run it under the carpet, under the rear seat, into the trunk then had the cord run up the groove next to the rear window with the antenna mounting up on the roof.

I actually just had this issue about two weeks ago when I got a new Sirius radio. The way I mounted the antenna was on the roof, towards the rear of the car in the middle. Then I ran the antenna wire down around the rear window using the existing molding to hold the wire. If you have a set of those tiny screwdrivers, you can use the flat head to gently push the wire underneath the rubber molding and it will stay there very nicely. Then I ran it into the truck and thru the back seat middle arm rest. You will have to remove the cloth backing on the far wall of the trunk but then you will see a small hole in the metal which you can use to fish the wire thru. Then go into the backseat and pull the wire through until it is relatively secure. I then fished the wire up towards the ceiling behind the rear seats and used the cloth moldings above the doors and then down the A pillar by the drivers side. I had just enough wire to make it. Sorry if that sounds convoluted but its really very easy once you are out in your car and looking at all the parts. It took me less than ten minutes and I had never done it before. Good luck!

Brian

I actually mounted my antenna on the rear shelf inside the car and i still get almost perfect reception, I lose the signal for maybe 30 seconds per week. Just an idea that could save you some time and trouble.

I put mine on the trunk lid. Ran the antenna wire under the center console and rear seat into the trunk. Once in the trunk you can run the wire up the hinge (where the brake light wiring is), under the fabric panel and to the center of the trunk.

Quote Originally Posted by brosher
    I put mine on the trunk lid. Ran the antenna wire under the center console and rear seat into the trunk. Once in the trunk you can run the wire up the hinge (where the brake light wiring is), under the fabric panel and to the center of the trunk.

That's exactly what I did for my Sirius antenna....didn't take long to do
    JNMIP
    '93 E34 525i A/T 9/92

I just attached mine to the metal antenna grill on the dash. The wire runs down the passenger side where the dash meets the door. Very simple, no wear and tear on the antenna and the reception is uncomprimised.
    Derek A.
    90 535i 5 Speed - Style 5 17"

Here's where I put mine:

A trick we use for GPS antennas in my car etc, is up behind the gauge cluster. The dash isn't metal, and the antenna for my GPS works great this way. I don't like things sticking to the outside of my car.

I ended up mounting it on the trunk lid then ran the wire under the carpet, under the rear seat then under the trim and under the dash until it ended up where I wanted it. Tried it under the dash the signal wasn't as good. Now that it's all mounted property the sound is pretty sweet.

The weather stuff will be handy on my surf trips.

black dash - black antenna - metal grille. Done deal
    Derek A.
    90 535i 5 Speed - Style 5 17"

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast