GO FISHING, use SLABSAUCE Fishing Attractant
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 535i timing chain cover

Default 535i timing chain cover

Can the timing chain cover be removed with the radiator still in place, or does that need to come out for proper access?

What size/type puller is needed to remove the vibration dampener wheel?

I'm debating with myself about removing the chain cover for replacement of the plastic guide rail. The rail itself does not show much wear, but its upper attachment ear broke, so the guide rail is only mounted at its bottom fitting. Apparently, this has been the case for quite a while. Given the PITA of removing the cover, etc. I'm wondering if it might be OK to just button the whole thing up and leave the guide rail as is. Also wondering if the upper attachment ear of the plastic guide rail could be JB welded back on, which would save lots of work. I know I shouldn't, but wonder what other more experienced people think about this.

You may not need a puller for the pulley once the nut is off....I spent a bunch of time hooking up my puller and then once I touched the pulley it basically fell off.

I'll let others who are more knowledgeable comment on the need, but this is something I wouldn't mess around with, personally. I'd try to get it fixed 'right' as soon as possible.

i just used two pry bars on the dampener wheel on my m20, you just wiggle it off

The radiator can stay.
    Removing the shroud will make life easier but the clips are likely to break. They are cheap even at the dealer.
    "The gas pedal wouldn't go to the floor if it weren't meant to be there"

Thanks, guys, that's what I was hoping to hear.

OTOH, on my Porsche 944 Turbo, getting a puller on the front pulley is an absoute bitch, and my kids got to hear some new vocabulary. We call it "Car Talk" but it's not the Click & Clack variety.

Default Have fun removing the damper nut!!

I did guide rails and tension guide a while back.

You need a special BMW tool bolted to the damper(remove the acc. pulley first) and this tool is suppose to rest on the bottom of the chassis to "Hold the crank". After thats setup remove that huge nut. Is it a 32mm? I forgot. But it was extremely hard to loosen. I used a 1/2 drive with 5 foot breaker bar attached. But after that, blueberry pie!

I did NOT use the BMW tool, I used a aston martin tool instead which worked! I can get you a pic if you would like to see it.

I removed the fan shroud and thats it. The job is very easy. I did my 535 at my dealership which has everything you need. With the help of all my tools and specialty tools I knocked it out in 8hrs. I had to remove the front cover again because I had a oil leak the first time I started it up. So I did the job again pretty much, lol.

So make sure you have the special tool to hold the crank and make sure you
    have all your tools.
    -Scott

Well, all jobs are easy when you have correct tools.

Well, I ain't got no stinkin' special tool, so what am I gonna do?

The head is off, so I cannot try the stuff-rope-in-the-cylinder trick.

I hope not to have to jack up the car and remove the starter for the jam-the-flywheel teeth-with-a-stout screwdriver trick.

I was thinking about attaching a chain or nylon strap to the balance wheel, wrap it around a couple of turns, fix the other end of said chain to a hard point, then lever the big nut against that counterforce.

Any good & workable ideas for us guys who work in the driveway, without no stinkin' special tools?

Quote Originally Posted by Dash01
    Any good & workable ideas for us guys who work in the driveway, without no stinkin' special tools?
    That but is torqued to somewhere between 250 and 300 something. I think you need to make a tool to hold that crank.

If I was stuck on the driveway over my head I would try to make a tool.

Ill see if I can get a pic of the tool this weekend.

Default special tools?

we don't need no stinkin' special tools.

The chain trick works, just be very carefull of what you bolt up to.

somebody did a block of wood wedged between the dampner and the cross beam.

The point is to lock it at the dampner, not the flywheel (long crank shaft=flex)

I have a pipe chain wrench for these special moments, just lock it around and brace it, then pop goes the nut.

Pneumatic impact wrench would be a real good thing to beg, borrow or buy.

Vee ave vays of dealing vid your kind...........

Well I guess thats an alternative. Use manual power though. If that chain wrench setup you have slips or something else happens with that impact...or hey wear a helmet.

I am interested in the chain procedure though. Large link chain right. Grade 8 Bolts.

I jsut wanted to share the way I did it. Good luck with yours also.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast