GO FISHING, use SLABSAUCE Fishing Attractant

Thread: e34 instrument woes

Default e34 instrument woes

Hi,
    I was wondering if anyone can help me solve a problem with my Nov 1990 520, I dissconnected to battery last week as I was away as the battery was close to death! However when I connected it back up today none of the gauges work(speedo,tacho,fuel and temp), also the odometer is reading CodE.
    This illuminates even if the ignition is off, it is a motometer cluster and I have has it on my freinds computer to check for code faults and it comes back clear.
    I have tried resetting via the dashboard reset, but it stays fixed on CodE, is it possible that the coding plug could corrupt every part of the cluster?

If that is the case, will a new plug restore all or just the odometer...any help appreciated...thanks

Dave (Perth)

I jumped a friends vehicle recently and her gages went out. Turned out to be a fuse for the cluster. Cant remember if/where the fuse is on our cars.
    The fuse in her's didnt blow but it had never been removed and there was enought corrosion that the shock of disconecting the jumpers caused an incomplete circuit.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Default Try disconnecting the battery again and wait a minute or two then

then reconnect, the code indicates that the coding plug is not programmed. And its unlikely that you wiped it , so i would guess that its a poor connection and would try reconnecting the battery.

Quote Originally Posted by perthdave
    Hi,
    I was wondering if anyone can help me solve a problem with my Nov 1990 520, I dissconnected to battery last week as I was away as the battery was close to death! However when I connected it back up today none of the gauges work(speedo,tacho,fuel and temp), also the odometer is reading CodE.
    This illuminates even if the ignition is off, it is a motometer cluster and I have has it on my freinds computer to check for code faults and it comes back clear.
    I have tried resetting via the dashboard reset, but it stays fixed on CodE, is it possible that the coding plug could corrupt every part of the cluster?

If that is the case, will a new plug restore all or just the odometer...any help appreciated...thanks

Dave (Perth)