GO FISHING, use SLABSAUCE Fishing Attractant

Thread: 525 thermostat

Default 525 thermostat

I never paid attention to the 80 deg C thermostat when I installed in May along with the aluminum thermostat housing the the SS impeller water pump. It has been giving me coolant message recently. I forgot I did the thermostat and bought one 88 deg C. Today I took it out because it was leaking, actually the car was overheating. The water pump o-ring was intact. So was the irregularly shaped red rubber ring. But the thermostat o-ring was very deformed, also with some crust. I also found the thermostat doesn't have a bleed hole. Those on my SAAB's all have one. While I don't believe in tampering with original equipment, what is the Board's recommendation on the bleed hole?

'01 540it, 6/01
    '03 325i 5 speed, 9/02
    '10 535ix. 9/09
    '10 mini 6 speed
    '15 mini countryman 6 speed

Was it a genuine BMW item? IMO it is a good idea, sticky thermostats are well known problem. Makes sense to have a pressure relief instead of blowing your rad apart. I dont think the bypass flow (with a small hole of course) would be sufficient to interfere with the function of the cooling system. It may not be ideal in very cold climate though..

i've seen the bleed hole recomended and did it on my car. works great just keep it small and put it as high as possible on the thermostat.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Drill the hole through the arrow or marking that signifies "this end up" on the t-stat. Make the hole small, I can't remember the exact size, but the bit I used was one of the three smallest one in the set (1/16 or 1/32?). After the hole is drilled clean up any shavings on the stat and insert with the hole at 12 o'clock.

-ashley

'92 525iA / 179k miles / Born 3.92 / ABS / No ASC / stock / North Carolina

Paper Gaskets Suck!

Default I've never needed one on any that i've done but a number of

people here drill them.

Quote Originally Posted by yaofeng
    I never paid attention to the 80 deg C thermostat when I installed in May along with the aluminum thermostat housing the the SS impeller water pump. It has been giving me coolant message recently. I forgot I did the thermostat and bought one 88 deg C. Today I took it out because it was leaking, actually the car was overheating. The water pump o-ring was intact. So was the irregularly shaped red rubber ring. But the thermostat o-ring was very deformed, also with some crust. I also found the thermostat doesn't have a bleed hole. Those on my SAAB's all have one. While I don't believe in tampering with original equipment, what is the Board's recommendation on the bleed hole?

What is the purpose of a hole??
    Lowered with blue h&r(?) springs, Bilsteins, tint, 19# design 3 injectors, Dual Magnaflow
    southwest WA

Some people say it helps in the bleeding process, but you don't need to do this on an m50 engine. I think it mostly helps on m20 & m30 engines.

Greg Mendoza

I must have messed up somewhere. As soon as I pour coolant into the tank, the leak starts at the thermostat/water pump area. Let me get this straight first. The thermostat goes into the block first pointed side facing out. The o-ring goes in next and then the thermostat housing. Correct?

Have to take everything apart again. My driveway is all wet.
    '01 540it, 6/01
    '03 325i 5 speed, 9/02
    '10 535ix. 9/09
    '10 mini 6 speed

Quote Originally Posted by Mendozart
    Some people say it helps in the bleeding process, but you don't need to do this on an m50 engine. I think it mostly helps on m20 & m30 engines.
    I just poured in my coolant, squeezed the upper rad hose a bit, and started the engine. Once it was heated up, i opened the bleed screw. Since no air came out, i closed it and it has been perfect ever since.
    Lowered with blue h&r(?) springs, Bilsteins, tint, 19# design 3 injectors, Dual Magnaflow
    southwest WA

Default water pump

For a while I thought I had a cracked head on the 525. After reinstalling the thermostat and water pump and filled coolant it started dripping. So I removed the AC compressor, the AC bracket, the two s-belt, all pulleys and the flex damper to have a look. Turned out the coolant was leaking from the bottom of the water pump to its mating surface. This is the SS impeller WP I put in three months ago. The WP o-ring is still very elastic. I am puzzled. Hope I don't need anther pump again.
    '01 540it, 6/01
    '03 325i 5 speed, 9/02
    '10 535ix. 9/09
    '10 mini 6 speed