GO FISHING, use SLABSAUCE Fishing Attractant
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Dumb question: How to know when ABS kicks in

Default Dumb question: How to know when ABS kicks in

Hi All,

Sometimes when I apply brakes while I am turning on wet roads, I can feel the front outer wheel (outer wheel in the turn circle I make) shudders as if it is stopped in pulses. Is this ABS? Or something is wrong?

Hope I am clear in stating the problem!

PS: I dont have traction control (ASC-T)

Thanks
    Arun
    530i / Nikasil M60 3 Ltr Motor / ZF5HP18 (A5S 310Z) Tranny / Prod: March 95 / Fully stock / 95K miles

Quote Originally Posted by Alpinewhite
    Sometimes when I apply brakes while I am turning on wet roads, I can feel the front outer wheel (outer wheel in the turn circle I make) shudders as if it is stopped in pulses. Is this ABS?
    Sounds like it. I would describe ABS activation as a chatter, or rapid clicking, that you can hear and feel in the pedal. Take the car out in the wet on a grassy field or something and slam on the brakes 'til you get used to it.

1997 535i V8
    5spd, OBC, A/C, cruise, BMW phone, factory M-Tech wheel & suspension, 18" Alpinas

Do you feel it pulsing in the pedal?

Quote Originally Posted by Anton CH.
    Do you feel it pulsing in the pedal?
    I dont remember feeling any pulse in the pedal. I will make sure next time.
    Thanks
    Arun
    530i / Nikasil M60 3 Ltr Motor / ZF5HP18 (A5S 310Z) Tranny / Prod: March 95 / Fully stock / 95K miles

If you wanna know how it would feel prior to a wet-road condition, just drive in a straight line on a dry road one day around 40-50 mph, then mash the brake pedal, you'll feel all the sensations you'll need to know what its like (the steering wheel might rumble, the brake pedal pulses, and the car for the most part stays in a straight line with little corrections needed) The wheels shouldn't lock up completely either.. maybe a little here and there, but the pulse should release them.

ABS feels like your pedal just kinda sogs down, while feeling some pulsation, if it is not abs you may have a warped brake disc or heck, it could even be your bearings that are subjected to load while cornering AND braking. try the wet gras field thing that should get the real abs going, or maybe talk to a friend who knows what abs feels like.

There's a lesson in this, which I always tell my friends/family when they get a new car:

Take the car out on an empty, wet road and mash the pedal so you can be familliar with ABS before you need it. An emergency is not the time to be discovering new features.

Jay Lebo - Toronto, Canada
    1990 BMW 535i
    5-speed conversion
    Lightened flywheel
    Sachs Suspension Kit
    E.A.T. Chip

This is actually a very good question.

I'm a volunteer CCA HPDE ('high performance driving instructor') and we do a lot of "novice skills days". One of the critical drills we run is a 'threshold braking' event designed to let people test out their ABS and get the feel of it.

The drill's a collision avoidance simulation - basically you need to threshold brake and turn at the same time. Interestingly enough, the most typical coaching we provide once people get used to the ABS is to not lift off the brake while turning. For some reason, there's a tendency to brake-release-turn-brake vs. the better brake-turn.

Good suggestions above to play with your abs. If you really want to have fun, sign up for your local chapter's Driver's Skills day.
    Bellevue WA
    90 535iM - not much stock remains. 3.7 liters, ported head, cammed, 3.73 diffy, M5 brakes, MAFed, yadda yadda yadda
    86 Porsche 951 - Track Toy

in both cars i have driven with ABS (mums volvo 940 and my 535) when ive stomped on the pedal you get the pulsing in the brake pedal, and also an almost crunching sound from under the hood.
    Its not a very pleasant thing to have kick in.
    11/88 535iA

Ever driven across a cattle grid?
    That's pretty much what the ABS pulses feel like.

1990 E34 535iA, 215,000kms (130,000 miles).
    Dual Climate, Rear Headrests, Rollerblind, M-Tech Wheel,
    Memory Seats, EAT Chip, T-Stars.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast