GO FISHING, use SLABSAUCE Fishing Attractant
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Sealant for doing oil pan?

Default Sealant for doing oil pan?

Does anyone use sealant when doing oil pan? Bentley says to, dunno what kind I should get locally exactly or if its even recommended.

I have great luck with the orangy colorored high heat silicone from uh.... PERMATEX ?? I think thats the brand.
    I'm out of it right now or I'd look. Seems that it was their blue with orange logo tube.
    I guess your turbo oil drain fittings are done ?Hope so, I know your getting Psyched !!
    .........Vinny
    AC Schnitzer | S-5 | Stainless exhaust | Bodykit | wing| 3pc. wheels | badges | springs | mirrors | steerwheel |
    Schwarz on Blk

is that the gasket with metal sandwiched in the middle? if so no sealant used on mine and it's fine.
    95 E34 530I V2.37
    ===========
    Those who make peaceful revolution impossible will make violent revolution inevitable.

John F. Kennedy

Quote Originally Posted by Jon K
    Does anyone use sealant when doing oil pan? Bentley says to, dunno what kind I should get locally exactly or if its even recommended.
    Indeed you are cheap like me. All my SAAB's use blue permatex between the block and the sump pan. I use the orange Permatex between the timing cover and the block on my SAAB's too. I borrowed the experience and used it years ago on a 86 325es. It held to the day I sold it. I was going to do the same on my 525 for some reason people talked me out of it. I'd bet blue or orange Permatex work just as well as the over engineered BMW metal gasket with a bead of rubber.
    '01 540it, 6/01
    '03 325i 5 speed, 9/02
    '10 535ix. 9/09
    '10 mini 6 speed
    '15 mini countryman 6 speed

Quote Originally Posted by yaofeng
    Indeed you are cheap like me. All my SAAB's use blue permatex between the block and the sump pan. I use the orange Permatex between the timing cover and the block on my SAAB's too. I borrowed the experience and used it years ago on a 86 325es. It held to the day I sold it. I was going to do the same on my 525 for some reason people talked me out of it. I'd bet blue or orange Permatex work just as well as the over engineered BMW metal gasket with a bead of rubber.

How am I cheap though? I have a metal/rubber oil pan gasket but the bentley says to use a sealant and I just need to know which. Do I use just gasket or gasket and sealant?

I'd prefer the gasket. That sealant stuff is a PITA to get off if you ever need to drop the pan again. Also you run the risk of sealant getting in to the oil supply. I'm not an expert though, anyone else feel this way?

Sorry big spender. If you already have the metal gasket, why change? I am just saying BMW and SAAB has different philosophies of sealing polished metal joint. Both work. But SAAB's method is cheaper.
    '01 540it, 6/01
    '03 325i 5 speed, 9/02
    '10 535ix. 9/09
    '10 mini 6 speed

Or maybe bentley is just refering to some common silicone sealant on the rubber parts of the gasket...

Quote Originally Posted by Jon K
    How am I cheap though? I have a metal/rubber oil pan gasket but the bentley says to use a sealant and I just need to know which. Do I use just gasket or gasket and sealant?
    Do you mean sealant on top of the metal gasket? No. The metal gasket is supposed to be installed dry.
    '01 540it, 6/01
    '03 325i 5 speed, 9/02
    '10 535ix. 9/09
    '10 mini 6 speed

Quote Originally Posted by yaofeng
    Do you mean sealant on top of the metal gasket? No. The metal gasket is supposed to be installed dry.
    Ok that was what I was wondering - I have like 3 or 4 metal/rubber gaskets and bentley said use silicone so I was a little confused. That's all - I am swapping oil pans out because I just got my other oil pan welded for turbo oil return

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast