GO FISHING, use SLABSAUCE Fishing Attractant

Thread: engine light at idle when outside temp >100F

Default engine light at idle when outside temp >100F

In the last couple of months it has gotten a little warm here in Las Vegas. Last week we were around 115F. About a month ago the temp was about 104 and my little 3L V8 did some funny things after riding on freeway for about 45 minutes.

I pulled into the parking lot and before I turned off the car the engine light came off and the idle got unsteady. I turned off the car and removed the key, however, the motor continued to diesel for about 60 to 90 seconds. I just sat there with the tran in neutral and my foot on the brake, waiting for the motor to stop. I was worried and I immediately attempted to start the car after the dieseling quit, wouldn't start. The check engine light was on and the pedal test revealed Lambda sensor.

I went in the store for 30 minutes, grabbed my stuff and ran back out to attempt to start the car. Hoping that a cool off for 30 minutes would let me restart it. Not so lucky, car still would not start, and I continued to get the one error. I had to wait nearly two hours before the motor would start.

When I drove it home the check engine light would go away whenever I was moving, but as soon as I was stopped and idling the check engine light would come on and the idle would get very rough.

Since that day, I cannot drive the car longer than 10 minutes without the check engine light coming on at every stop and the idle going bad. And if I have driven the car for longer than 30 minutes straight and I turn it off, it takes about 2 hours of cooling/waiting before the engine will start up. Any thoughts would be appreciated.

The car is 5spd manual, 530i baby V8, 2000 miles on new clutch, O2 sensors replaced about 8 months ago, 123k on the car. Had the intake manifold gaskets and computer replaced at 70k miles. I hope someone has some simple answers Thanks in advance,

Robert

Have you checked the lambda? maybe its busted, so that it will throw an error code as soon as it gets warmed up?
    Eurospec-12/1988-535iL-M30B35-5speed

Default Good suggestion

I might as well climb under the car and have a look, sounds so obvious I didn't even think of it. I have her stowed in the garage, I'll check her out tonight when I get home. Thanks.