GO FISHING, use SLABSAUCE Fishing Attractant

Thread: hmm

Default hmm

Found my first suprise irregularity in the car today while applying Rejuvinator oil.I was extending the passenger seat back and one side, the inside appears to be frozen, the seat twisted so the back was bending toward the driver as the outer side reclined and the inner remained immobile. I tried bringing it all the way forward and it stayed stuck. I'll search the archives but if you know about this issue and know of a fix feel free.
    1995 540i Manual build 1/95

search for seat twist, its covered a few times a month.
    95 E34 530I V2.37
    ===========
    Those who make peaceful revolution impossible will make violent revolution inevitable.

John F. Kennedy

I found this:

http://bellsouthpwp.net/m/i/miales/seatcablesfix.htm

Hopefully it will help out.

Quote Originally Posted by zman-95-540i
    I found this:

http://bellsouthpwp.net/m/i/miales/seatcablesfix.htm

Hopefully it will help out.

Thanks very much... an Autum afternoon job no doubt..

Do a search to see what others are saying. I think I've seen some recommend to take the seat out and some say it can be done with the seat in the car. I will be doing this in a few weeks. I'll post the difficulty I experienced when complete. Good luck!

Did mine two weeks ago. I opted to keep the seat in the car and lean/prop it up on the back seat which allowed me to keep the wires connected and test the seat to see if it was fixed or not.

Read this thread here:

One point to pay extra attention to is that we apparently have an airbag sensor under the passenger seat which may affect how you decide to tackle the job. My problem was the driver side so I didn't have to worry about it, so I'm curious to hear what you do in the end.

HTH
    '94 540I 6spd/205000 miles

Thats a good point because as i learned from Ausmpower i do have a passenger side airbag, i hadn't noticed before. I may not do it right away as its pretty hot here this time of the eyar and i don't often have passengers in for long rides so i may wait till its cool in the Fall.

Quote Originally Posted by bbig119
    Did mine two weeks ago. I opted to keep the seat in the car and lean/prop it up on the back seat which allowed me to keep the wires connected and test the seat to see if it was fixed or not.

Read this thread here:

One point to pay extra attention to is that we apparently have an airbag sensor under the passenger seat which may affect how you decide to tackle the job. My problem was the driver side so I didn't have to worry about it, so I'm curious to hear what you do in the end.

HTH
    It's actually a pressure pad inside the seat base to tell the system whether the passanger seat is occupied, later models had this deleted due to too many sensor failures/faults.

Sometimes disconnection brings the dreaded airbag light up on the dash (needs to be reset with a scanner).
    BMW parts professional

Previous rides:
    BMW
    E12 M535i (go the dogleg!)
    E28 M535i (MMM M88!)
    E34 535i M

MAZDA:
    RX7 S-IV T04 (440 hp ATW)
    RX7 S-I 13b bridge port
    RX4 13b peripheral port

It's actually a pressure pad inside the seat base to tell the system whether the passanger seat is occupied, later models had this deleted due to too many sensor failures/faults.

Sometimes disconnection brings the dreaded airbag light up on the dash (needs to be reset with a scanner).
    Disconnecting the battery will prevent this?
    Gone but not forgotten

Quote Originally Posted by Paul in NZ
    Disconnecting the battery will prevent this?
    This is true, but it'll make it a little trickier to do the fix inside the car, and he'll have to think twice about how/when to test the seat to see if its fixed or not.
    '94 540I 6spd/205000 miles