GO FISHING, use SLABSAUCE Fishing Attractant

Thread: towing 535i

Default towing 535i

I am picking up another e34 I have to drive from la ca to phoenix az 400+ miles I want to tow this thing as cheap as possible but not unsafe I am looking for advice on how to tow this thing. I have to go tomorrow.

Quote Originally Posted by jjdickm
    I am picking up another e34 I have to drive from la ca to phoenix az 400+ miles I want to tow this thing as cheap as possible but not unsafe I am looking for advice on how to tow this thing. I have to go tomorrow.
    Can you get it transported via rail?
    Taking into account fuel prices and the fact that trailering 1.5 tons over 400 miles carries a definate accident risk I'd consider rail even if is a couple of hundred $$$ more than picking it up yourself.

1990 E34 535iA, 215,000kms (130,000 miles).
    Dual Climate, Rear Headrests, Rollerblind, M-Tech Wheel,
    Memory Seats, EAT Chip, T-Stars.

tow vehicle? the best is a double axle trailer and a diesel (better mpg, teens vs possible single digits with a gasser) to pull it like this

if the car is a automatic that kind of mileage will destroy the tranny if you tow it with a dolly without removing the driveshaft, or try the risky ass backwards pull with the front on the ground, u-haul stuff is stupidly expensive to rent, to rent a double axle for my haul would of run over a grand and at that point i would of just bought a stake side trailer for around $1500 but i was able to borrow a buddys dovetail car hauler

if towing with a automatic remember to watch the rpms and if they get too low (like under 2k rpm at cruising speed) take it out of overdrive (or use tow/haul mode if the truck has it) or you may roast the tranny due to low fluid pressure
    all america wants is cold beer warm cat and a place to take a poop with a door on it