GO FISHING, use SLABSAUCE Fishing Attractant

Thread: Location of knock sensor on a M50 vanos?

Default Location of knock sensor on a M50 vanos?

Anyone have an idea where the OE knock sensor is on a M50 vanos block? I am adding knock sense to my car and I want to see if my block has the sensor hole cast in it.

Bentley says "On M50 engines, the knock sensors are accessible after removing the top engine covers", word for word. As it talks about "M50 engineS", I guess it also covers the Vanos ones.
    1994 520i with M50 engine, manual transmission and air conditioner.
    VIN: GG45422

they bolt into the block a inch or two below the head surface under the intake between two and three and the other between four and five
    all america wants is cold beer warm cat and a place to take a poop with a door on it

Quote Originally Posted by winfred
    they bolt into the block a inch or two below the head surface under the intake between two and three and the other between four and five

Winfred - is either spot any more likely to see knock than the other? This knock sensor is interfacing with my MegaSquirt ecu so I'd like to give it the optimum position. Additionally I had the guy calibrate the unit for an 84mm bore.

hard to say there, the stockers are only looking at 3 holes a piece, it may be possible to hook the pair together and read the whole motor, never tried that though, they send a AC pulse when they detect a certain frequency, you can hook one to a multimeter and smack it with a hammer to see it, with a graphing meter you can tell how good they are, id go with new old ones aren't as sensitive
    all america wants is cold beer warm cat and a place to take a poop with a door on it

I think the unit I bought is a single bolt-thru design. It s a bosch unit but I am pretty sure it won't be the OE one off of a knock sensing motor. I guess I'll just put it somewhere.

some place up high should get the job done

Winfred are there any cyls on the M50 that are known to run hotter than any other?

i've not herd anything but i am not into high performance m50s, not sure if theres any air or coolent restrictions that cause problems

Alright thanks for all the help as usual winfred - I'll give you super duper credit when I get this bitch spooling