GO FISHING, use SLABSAUCE Fishing Attractant

Thread: Factory Stereo Anti-Theft System

Default Factory Stereo Anti-Theft System

I'm planning on changing the headunit, but keeping it stored for originality and if I ever want to put it back. It has a red light that says "theft" or something to that effect that blinks when the car is off. My question is does this stereo require a code number to type in when you remove it, reinstall it, or even change batteries since the constant 12V gets disconnected, or will I be able to put it back in if I ever wanted to without worrying about it?

slightly off topic addendum : I noticed two very small brass alan head screws behind two tiny covers on both sides of the face. Is that all that's holding that in the dash, or am I in for a removal nightmare?

Once the power is disconnected andf then reconnected, the radio unit display will say 'code.' You then need to enter the numeric code that came on a wallet-sized card, with the car, to enable it again. Or, you need to call BMW and prove you own the car.
    ...Bill

Quote Originally Posted by SnakeyesTx
    slightly off topic addendum : I noticed two very small brass alan head screws behind two tiny covers on both sides of the face. Is that all that's holding that in the dash, or am I in for a removal nightmare?
    Yes, those are the screws which hold it in the dash. I remember taking mine out about a year ago, was pretty frustrating as the darn thing didn't want to budge, but after enough tugging, it came out. :-P

The write-up below was helpful to me

http://www.bmwe34.net/e34main/Upgrade/Stereo_radio.htm
    Rondell 58's|Eibach Springs|B&B Tri-Flow Exhaust|Shadowline|S/D Rotors|KYB Struts