GO FISHING, use SLABSAUCE Fishing Attractant

Thread: sun roof probs 525 tourer

Default sun roof probs 525 tourer

Hi everyone, can any of you throw any pointers to my sliding roof problem,(twin) on my 525i tourer,93, they just will not open,?? the motors are working ok, the front one gives the sound like when its just closed, the rear one, the motor seems to be spinning ok, but neither will open, i have checked fuses etc they seem ok, is it possible it has relay just for opening, or whatever, any help would be gratefully received,

Default might be cables?

hi pyeman,

i have a 92 touring that i bought just recently. the rear portion of the sunroof works fine, but the front doesn't. the guy i bought it from told me it was likely a cable or cables that needed to be replaced. since my a/c works i have not been highly motivated to fix the sunroof (i've got far more serious things to occupy my wallet at the moment, such as replacing the rear suspension!) but that might be an entry point for a search -- try "touring sunroof cables"

i do intend to fix it when i can -- wonderful to have a scrap of open sky on view for both front and rear passengers!

bruce

Have tried the reset function? Turn car off. Turn key on. Push in center of button and hold for 15 seconds. Then try the one touch feature to either the front or the back. Do that first before thinking about repair, and don't take it to anyone who hasn't disassembled one before. You really don't want anyone learning on your sunroof, because it's damned complicated and more expensive if they f*ck it up....from removing the headliner to adjusting the cables..make sure they've worked on a couple before...I'd want to be looking them straight in the eye when you ask them too

~6 speed~ Rear Fogs ~ Shadowline ~ Tow Package ~ OEMMM///S38B38

Default This must be some kind of texas thing.... looking them

straight in the eye... don't you know thats the first thing they teach us in mechanics school.. How to lie your ass off while looking the customer straight in the eye...

I'd suggest asking around to other bmw owners in your area and seeing who they give high marks too and check out their parking lot for tourings. If you drive by occasionaly and notice a touring there once in a while the odds are good that they have had to work on a touring sunroof.

Quote Originally Posted by 530iTouring
    Have tried the reset function? Turn car off. Turn key on. Push in center of button and hold for 15 seconds. Then try the one touch feature to either the front or the back. Do that first before thinking about repair, and don't take it to anyone who hasn't disassembled one before. You really don't want anyone learning on your sunroof, because it's damned complicated and more expensive if they f*ck it up....from removing the headliner to adjusting the cables..make sure they've worked on a couple before...I'd want to be looking them straight in the eye when you ask them too

I had trouble with mine went to main dealer () went again after about 9months.not had it fixed again waiting till moved house. I did not know about re-set , will have to give that a try. I'm baffled why they ever put in a double roof, excuse to hike price i suppose.

Default hope springs eternal, then watch springs kaput

i've never tried the reset function, so after reading this i figgered what do i have to lose, i'll give it a whirl even though it's supposed to be the broken cable. may be i'll get lucky.

pushed up and timed it for just over 15 secs.

no change in sunroof operation.

but my wristwatch stopped functioning right after i timed the 15 seconds !!!

!@#$%^&* !!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Bill R.
    This must be some kind of texas thing.... looking them in the eye .

If I had a gun for every ace I've drawn, I could arm a town the size of abilene.

My uncle started winnin, cowboys got sore
    One o them called him, then two more
    'cused him a cheatin, aw no it couldn't be,
    I know my uncle, he's as honest as me.

Ever heard of Texas Hold em Bill?

You're from Canada right...I mean eh?

~6 speed~ Rear Fogs ~ Shadowline ~ Tow Package ~ OEMMM///S38B38

Default Nope, i'm originally an Okie from midwest city and

Purcell, moved to arizona in 1960. And i've heard of Texas Hold em but i have no idea how its played.

Quote Originally Posted by 530iTouring
    If I had a gun for every ace I've drawn, I could arm a town the size of abilene.

My uncle started winnin, cowboys got sore
    One o them called him, then two more
    'cused him a cheatin, aw no it couldn't be,
    I know my uncle, he's as honest as me.

Ever heard of Texas Hold em Bill?

You're from Canada right...I mean eh?

Default sun roof

Quote Originally Posted by Bruce Kennett
    hi pyeman,

i have a 92 touring that i bought just recently. the rear portion of the sunroof works fine, but the front doesn't. the guy i bought it from told me it was likely a cable or cables that needed to be replaced. since my a/c works i have not been highly motivated to fix the sunroof (i've got far more serious things to occupy my wallet at the moment, such as replacing the rear suspension!) but that might be an entry point for a search -- try "touring sunroof cables"

i do intend to fix it when i can -- wonderful to have a scrap of open sky on view for both front and rear passengers!

bruce
    Thanks for the info Bruce, know what yer mean with the wallet,LOL.. have just replaced all my rear end suspension bits, including the self levelling struts, got everything quite cheap off ebay, well pleased, cos the prev owner towed a boat, and each time he launched it, he submerged the back end in the sea, However, i will try the roof cables, to which i suspect, cos the rear one motor just whirrrs away when i press the button, and front one just clicks but motor dos work,,?? ok my friend take care. pyeman.