GO FISHING, use SLABSAUCE Fishing Attractant
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: 535i vs. 540i

Default 535i vs. 540i

As you can tell, I am new here and this is my first post. However, I've been looking at these forums for a while and reading you guys' comments. I'm currently looking for an E34, as this along with the E31 is one of my favorite cars. I used to work with my dad on his '94 530iM.. but that car was totalled two years ago while parked by the DC police . The question I have, is what is the best E34 to buy to start with? In general it sounds like the M30 I6 is one of the more reliable engines, and the M60 has a couple quirks. Is this accurate? I am looking for a manual car in good shape. I don't mind working on my car as I am very mechanically inclined, and I also don't mind putting a little money into it to keep it well maintained. Of course, at the same time I do want a solid car that I can depend on and use as a DD... with a little love, of course. Although I did "work" on these cars before... one does have to keep in mind that I am new to this particular car. So, for someone like me, what would you all recommend?

More specifically, M30 or M60? I'd love to find a 95 or 94 M60, but a '93 535iM might be a better match. Also, it would be cheaper...

Lastly, any buying tips would be greatly appreciated! Thank you very much and I hope to be on these forums more often in the future.

Hi Nirvana19 and welcome. I don't think it will be ease or cost of maintenance that will sway you I think it will be test driving. The people I've spoken to and read about on this site were smitten the first time they drove the 540 (read Paul in NZs latest post). Drive the 535 first then the 540. Basic service on the 540 will be more expensive than the 535 for obvious reasons. The M30 is a cracker of an engine and near on bullet proof and in 3.5 ltr form has miles of torque and is simple to work on. get onto www.bmwe34.net and read the 'what will break' page. Also do a search on this site for 'nikasil' if you are considering the 540. Good luck and enjoy your search. The E34 is a GREAT car in any form.
    Cheers

Wingman
    '89 525i/A Exec 193000kms
    '94 Subaru Liberty AWD Wagon
    Looking for Merc 300TE
    NSW, Australia

i have a 530, its cool I think but the extra torque and wheel spinning HP would be sure to raise a smile on your face. Nikasil isn't that big of an issue as long as it idles pretty smooth and starts easy. The M60s also have intake leak issues that have led to MANY replacements of the engine instead of isolating the problem. The intake leaks also will caus it to throw a check engine code which says O2 sensors, ICV does the same. Other than that the 540 supposidly gets better mileage on the highway than the 530.

enjoy !
    95 E34 530I V2.37
    ===========
    Those who make peaceful revolution impossible will make violent revolution inevitable.

John F. Kennedy

As wingman says I have had the opportunity to test drive a 540 6sp (yesterday in fact)The difference between the 540 and the 535 is night and day.I dont drive my cars hard,I like the bigger engines for the tourque they provide.And i tell youthe 540 just blew me away its so smooth and silky and quiet....but behind that civilized exterior is a masively torquey and powerful FEELING engine.At 100 ks which is our national speed limit the 6 spd is turning about 1750 rpm all you have to do is squeeze the throttle and in no time at all with absolutely no drama you are going much much faster
    However I was stry UNDERWHELMED with the car,the 535 feels much sportier and responsive.THere are some other reasons for this as the car i loked at was much lower milege than mine but its overall condition was worse
    IMHO the 535 would be a better choice to start with.
    My 2c
    Dont get me wrong I am seriuosly considering the 540 but i will do a bit more homework first
    Gone but not forgotten

the 540 probably would feel a lot more responsive with a few mods, nothing major, like better plugs/injectors, and of course, an EAT chip!

its a hard call. as for " the car you start with" keep in mind youll probably keep whatever car you get for a long time as you get atttached to them. I have had the 54o for a cupole of years now and love it. in saying that i would lave a manual and there are heaps more 6 cylinder manuals than 8's. I am also considering the 535 as the next car, i am going to keep the 540 but every one raves about the six that i think id like to have both.

you mentioned that the e31 is among the favorite cars. they are an electrical nightmare (paraphrased from Whit Lowell). after owning a '93 525 5 speed, currently a 535i auto, driving a 535i manual, and taking a 95 540i/6 out and flogging the absolute **** out of it (at the owners direction: "dude, stop being a pussy and drive it like you're supposed to") my choice remains with a 535iM. 540i/6 is amazingly torquey with tons of power, but it just doesn't feel as sporty or responsive as the 535. maybe i'm biased. but that constant check engine light in the 540 didn't help. ps, good luck finding a 1993 535iM. ppss there is a 91 over at bf.c, needs some love, but $2900 cash obo takes it, and it's only 30 miles from me. (read: very willing to volunteer to test drive and make sure its in tip top mechanical shape .)

Quote Originally Posted by Alexlind123
    You're my hero.

I very much like yourself am new to e34's. although semi mechanically inclined I have after 4 weeks of ownership (92 535i) have found the I6 very easy to work on. Suspension not to tuff to work on either. There are plenty of aftermarket Items to make it what ever you like. The bonus is that you can find either car for a small sum of cash. Welcome and enjoy the experience.
    1992 535i
    Work in Progress 6/06

when i say sporty and responsive i am talking more about the chassis than the engine...the engine is what the 540/6 is about....and its prolly a much more modern feeling car than the 535 and thats exactly why the M60 superseded the m30.Bmw needed a more modern large(r) displacement engine than the m30
    Gone but not forgotten

oh hell ill throw this out there. for sheer torque and power and such and responsiveness: e28 m5. sooooooooooo amazing.

Quote Originally Posted by Alexlind123
    You're my hero.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast