GO FISHING, use SLABSAUCE Fishing Attractant

Thread: Found out something cool about my 535!

Default Found out something cool about my 535!

I was told when I bought my 89 535im a few months back that it had an open diff. Not so! I was changing motor, tranny, and diff (well, trying to- needed a shorter 14mm socket to fit in the insanely small space) and found that I do indeed have a LSD while checking over the ever growing list of items I need to replace.

Am I misinformed that these cars don't typically come with a LSD? If they don't, was it an option when buying the car? Just curious why I have one if it isn't standard. I can probably find out if I have the original order sheet from BMW (nice having friends at the dealership!).

Found out that I basically need to replace EVERY single rubber item on the car while it was up on the lift for inspection. So much for continuing my M3 track-prep for a while (or making the next track day for that matter). Bilstein Sports are on the way and a full rubber suspension bushing kit arrived at the shop yesterday. Install will wait until I have the shocks. I am not looking forward to spending hours upon hours pulling/pressing bushings but I am very much looking forward to the car handling much better.

After that is all done I still have brakes, guibo and center support bearings (if this car has one), rear half-shafts, wheel bearings, and a few seals on the motor (or I'll just wait til I re-build for my future turbo project). The beauty of an old car with almost 235k miles! Ah... I love it, although my bank account doesn't. Thank goodness for working at a BMW tuning shop so I have more than enough tools and help!
    -Seth- Vancouver, WA

535im is gone...

Don't forget some nice subframe inserts to stiffen em up!
    :: HIDCanada.com | Illuminating Your World

Good point. I'll probably do that another date unless they're very inexpensive. Although it sure is nice getting parts at cost, that last bill added up quick! I may be going back in to add some lowering springs later on so I'll have another excuse to tackle whatever else is needed then.
    -Seth- Vancouver, WA

535im is gone...

subfame inserts are like $20?

www.KaRealtySF.com
    Build Date: 05-1995 /Engine: m50tu /Automatic Transmission /ABS /NO ASC /Open Differential /EAT Chip

the bmw option list is a mile long . you literally could have anything you wanted in any combination if you wanted and were prepared to wait
    Gone but not forgotten

Wow, that's cheap. I'm a bit new to the E34 world so I'm not up to speed with such items. I'll do some looking around to see if I can find them. Thanks for the info!
    -Seth- Vancouver, WA

535im is gone...

I am not suprised about that. The last person I talked to made it sound like they were only on sport or m-tech models which is why I was suprised. I guess I know one source to not ask advice from now!
    -Seth- Vancouver, WA

535im is gone...