GO FISHING, use SLABSAUCE Fishing Attractant
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Mandatory turbo update pics

Hey Jon,
    Since you've that snazzy TIG setup how about just changing the collector on your header so it points a bit away from the head? Is there hood clearance? Lots less plumbing that way,and I'm guessing it might take a moment or so for that hog to spool up.
    "The gas pedal wouldn't go to the floor if it weren't meant to be there"

Jon, why did you decide to paint versus powder coat? I painted my car's current engine -- needed to get it done and in the car -- 3 coats of hi temp paint, 4 coats of hi temp chemically resistive clear, one splash of gas when I was putting the car back together and the clear's streaked.

Looking good. That block is hardly hideous, though You should see the M106 right now. What a mess. Still haven't determined if I'll be able to fit the H1E in the same place as you, for the same reasons.

best, whit

Looks awesome Jon! I'm sure the extra time and effort you are putting in will be well worth it in the end.

Present: Black 1995 525i | Past: Red 1989 535i; Black 1985 535i

i thought that m6 was sold, or i thought i saw it on the bay or somthing like that. the turbo stuff looks great though!

No, a bottom mount work, especially for a turbo that size. My turbo was smaller and couldnt work that way. What i did was have an extension made so it would move the turbo out of the way of the valve cover. And I also had a flange off of the extension for external wastegate. Look at how i have mine in the link

http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2322576/2

Quote Originally Posted by Ross
    Hey Jon,
    Since you've that snazzy TIG setup how about just changing the collector on your header so it points a bit away from the head? Is there hood clearance? Lots less plumbing that way,and I'm guessing it might take a moment or so for that hog to spool up.

I thought about it - did the math and it will be as high as the oil fill cap, which means it more than likely wont close. This is my daily/street car - needs a hood. Otherwise I'd do it.

Quote Originally Posted by bjl4776
    No, a bottom mount work, especially for a turbo that size. My turbo was smaller and couldnt work that way. What i did was have an extension made so it would move the turbo out of the way of the valve cover. And I also had a flange off of the extension for external wastegate. Look at how i have mine in the link

http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2322576/2

Yeah brandyn im making an up pipe and the up pipe will have hte flange for wastegate. I want a top mount - this is more of a "showy" setup im after.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12