GO FISHING, use SLABSAUCE Fishing Attractant
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Way OT - Sound differences? Want to do in-ceiling speakers, do they sound good?

Default Way OT - Sound differences? Want to do in-ceiling speakers, do they sound good?

Got new house, living room layout not so great for standard floor standing speaker placement, will not do the Bose "cube" thing. In-ceiling speakers seem appealing, but wonder how can get good sound w/out using custom made enclosures as w/regular speakers.... ( or a trunk if you talk about a car... but we're talking about an attic here.... )

Any experiences? Visually would seem great, but hesitate/question their good sound. Pls advise, thanks -
    Rob.

FWIW - I'm looking ino the Pinnacle BD speakers, or the Ascend CBM 340s or 170s.... or similar, but having hard time w/good placement... NOT for home theater, just good music to chill to...
    Cheers!
    1993 / 525ia / M50TU / EAT / Sachs / Infiniti Kappa & Basslink / super clean / Style 5s wearing Pilots / Mobil 1 everywhere / long road ahead

I do alot of high end systems with in-wall/ceiling speakers... if you have attic space above, go up there and build a box insulated with sound absorbing material around each speaker you put in.

The companies I like best for stereo speakers are Sonance and Boston Acoustics, both companies have an extensive developmental backround in custom installed speaker applications. Bostons comes from thier car business. Sonance is 100% a custom installation company. Thier speakers start at $100ish a pair and go up to $2k+ea...

If you choose not to build a box around them you have the potential for problems and muddy sound... remember they use the same "infinate baffle" technology that car speakers use, also if you cant angle the speaker behind the grille you will generally get a pillar of sound, and not a good stereo soundfield.

You say these are going in your "living room" is this a room you use every day? or just to entertain? Would you consider it a critical listening area? or just somewhere that you want decent sound while your doing something else?

A mate of mine has done this.
    The sound is good when sitting but it blows your ears when standing under them. I think you'll need to be able to angle the speakers towards your sitting positions.
    Overall IMHO they look fantastic, no clumsy speaker boxes hanging or on the floor.

Greg
    E30 318iS & BMW K1200LT

Default The sonace look nice w/the available enclosures also....

they're for a room I do use everyday, but just to sit in and chill, listen to music, etc, minimal entertaining, but it's not the "TV Room"... just sofa, love seat, recliner, book cases, fireplace, and my soon to be stereo setup.

Hum.... really thinking I need to figure out some floor speakers, else mount some speakers from high up on the walls... prob w/that is getting them away from a back wall a bit...

...would want to mount on the side walls, far away, angled in towards main seating... (which looks at the fireplace... bookshelfs along left wall...)

hum... thanks for the info too... never hurts to ask!

Quote Originally Posted by hakwuzhere
    I do alot of high end systems with in-wall/ceiling speakers... if you have attic space above, go up there and build a box insulated with sound absorbing material around each speaker you put in.

The companies I like best for stereo speakers are Sonance and Boston Acoustics, both companies have an extensive developmental backround in custom installed speaker applications. Bostons comes from thier car business. Sonance is 100% a custom installation company. Thier speakers start at $100ish a pair and go up to $2k+ea...

If you choose not to build a box around them you have the potential for problems and muddy sound... remember they use the same "infinate baffle" technology that car speakers use, also if you cant angle the speaker behind the grille you will generally get a pillar of sound, and not a good stereo soundfield.

You say these are going in your "living room" is this a room you use every day? or just to entertain? Would you consider it a critical listening area? or just somewhere that you want decent sound while your doing something else?
    1993 / 525ia / M50TU / EAT / Sachs / Infiniti Kappa & Basslink / super clean / Style 5s wearing Pilots / Mobil 1 everywhere / long road ahead

Shoo, if youve got bookshelves and your a "stereo" fan... you should just get some decent bookshelves... a sealed enclosure speaker will outperform an infinate baffle speaker 9 times out of 10...

When I buy a house, my stereo room is going to have an amp stand with a decent sub underneath and two bookshelf speakers on stands to the left and right... with my listening area in the perfect sweet spot Itll either be McIntosh or Rotel powered... with prolly Canton bookshelves and a velodyne sub.

There are pretty speakers out there that can go great with furniture...

B&W CM1's... excellent bookshelves.

Default The bookshelves have books on them, a few photos.., not speakers....

working the tradeoffs... will prob do regular floor speakers else smaller (big bookshelfs?) on stands....

Quote Originally Posted by hakwuzhere
    Shoo, if youve got bookshelves and your a "stereo" fan... you should just get some decent bookshelves... a sealed enclosure speaker will outperform an infinate baffle speaker 9 times out of 10...

When I buy a house, my stereo room is going to have an amp stand with a decent sub underneath and two bookshelf speakers on stands to the left and right... with my listening area in the perfect sweet spot Itll either be McIntosh or Rotel powered... with prolly Canton bookshelves and a velodyne sub.

Last year my girlfriend got a plasma tv and surround sound in the ceiling. We watched Lord of the Rings and X Men that were "dolby theatre" quaulity.

About her TV, I was like "yeah, yeah, thats nice" but the surround sound was like "omg, that's truly awesome! I want that". It was chilling to hear the soldiers walking with their staffs banging the ground and when the wall broke and the water came pouring out--it was just amazing. The couch underneath me shook without the sound hurting my ears.

I think the reason the sound quality was so good was the "dolby theatre" and there is not a lot of it out there. It is like high def content--the players are here but the availablity of the content is still too limited.
    Last edited by Gayle; 06-20-2006 at 08:55 AM.
    Dinan chip, Bilstein sports w H&R, RD sways, RD strut brace, 750 bushings, Zimmermans/MetalMasters, O.E. M Pars, Eisenmann muffler

Gayle, you have a girlfriend?....

dolby theater really doesnt mean anything... there are formats developed by dolby labs... (digital, digital EX, ES, ect...) but every single home theater reciever/processor on the market uses dolby processing in some way. There is also THX labs that has a slightly higher standard for certification than dolby, but it is all based on dolby formats. The competing and less common format (even though all recievers can process it) is DTS.

Any decent surround system should be able to realistically "steer" the sound around the room to create an environment of sound.

Every DVD ever released has some format of dolby sound (2.0, 2.1, 2/3.1, 5.1, ES, EX.......) Also dolby is the standard for HDTV content.

Default for now think I"m just going to get new receiver/amp...

....and see how my old speakers sound.... meanwhile am continuing to look into the CM-3s, Ascend models, and other simliar ones... considering an 700 series Onkyo amp... or else HK, prob the Onkyo.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast