GO FISHING, use SLABSAUCE Fishing Attractant
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Turns over but doesn't start.

Default HELP>> Turns over but doesn't start.

So this weekend I took off the engine cover (94 540i m60) to clean. The only thing I touched was the cable that goes through the cover. Of course I had to move it to take the cover off. Other than that, that's all I touched.

This morning I go to start the car and it won't run. When I put the key in, it makes a small buzzing sound and I don't hear the usual "running water" sound (injecting gas I expect). When I turn the key, it turns over but does not start.

I don't know how to check to make sure the sparkplugs are working and I think it's just not getting the fuel to start.

What should I check and how do I get it to start?
    Last edited by Macv; 06-12-2006 at 09:36 AM.
    InDEuroz | e34 540i/6 '94 w/ bore/stroked m62 | e30 325iS '87 | Ducati 748R '00

Ok, So I checked the fuel lines, and every plug I thought could be disconnected. I pressed the gas a few times, and just let it sit with the key in. About 2 minutes later it just starts right up.

I'm happy it worked but I really need someone to tell me how to prevent this. If anyone knows what has happened please let me know. I'd rather not go through this again. It hurt me that she didn't run.

Part 3.

I had put the cover back on when I started it the first time. It did not work at first. After I took the cover off for a bit it worked, like I said in my other post. It ran real good for about 5 minutes. Well since it was working I put the cover back on. I started it with the cover on and it worked ... for a minute then it completely died.

I feel as if there's something to do with a vacuum or something to that effect.

Please please please someone give me some insight.

Quote Originally Posted by Macv
    Part 3.

I had put the cover back on when I started it the first time. It did not work at first. After I took the cover off for a bit it worked, like I said in my other post. It ran real good for about 5 minutes. Well since it was working I put the cover back on. I started it with the cover on and it worked ... for a minute then it completely died.

I feel as if there's something to do with a vacuum or something to that effect.

Please please please someone give me some insight.
    It sounds to me like you might be disturbing a loose electrical connection. There is quite a bit of wiring under there. Check all of your connectors for tight fit. Any wire that is underneath the cover could be suspect (trace 'em to the connector). I think (could be wrong) maybe the wire for the Crank Position Sensor runs through there too. That will definitely cause a "no start" if not properly connected. Maybe someone else has 'nuther idea?
    Last edited by 31Hertz; 06-12-2006 at 11:51 AM.

I've checked the crankshaft position sensor and it looks good. To my knowledge, the car wouldn't have started without the crankshaft sensor working. Maybe it cut out, I dont know. But I CAN get my car started, for about 5 minutes anyways, and ONLY when she's cooled down.

Check timing sensor I had the same problem with my car. M50 engine.

Quote Originally Posted by Macv
    I've checked the crankshaft position sensor and it looks good. To my knowledge, the car wouldn't have started without the crankshaft sensor working. Maybe it cut out, I dont know. But I CAN get my car started, for about 5 minutes anyways, and ONLY when she's cooled down.
    There are lots o' connectors around that area. Check 'em all; especially the large bundle... Check for sharp bends or abrasions in the wiring where the conductor could be damaged or exposed. It sounds like wiring because of contraction and expansion between cooling and warming can cause connection and disconnection respectively. It could be a bad crimp within a connector... Anybody have other ideas?

I had talked to my local bimmer tech and he said basically the same thing. He mentioned all the physics of heat expansion and contraction.

How can I test these wires?

The small buzzing sound is your Idle Control Valve. That's normal.
    Get a can of Radio Shack Electronic Cleaner/Lubricant and spray it into each connector before you disconnect. It should make removal easier. Then respray into each side before reconnecting.

Check the Throttle Position Sensor connection (on the throttle body) and the Cold Air Temp Sensor right next to it (goes into the right front of the intake manifold)
    Ramon
    1994 540iA Nikasil EAT Chip
    Tampa Bay, Florida USA

i think you are in line for a new fuel pump. they die on M60s.

try replacing the fuel pump relay first though.

and if you do need a new fuel pump, buy some FP60 and run it in every tank, it makes the pump last longer, and you get better gas mileage.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast