GO FISHING, use SLABSAUCE Fishing Attractant

Thread: Seems like the weekend for headgaskets! Mine is done.

Default Seems like the weekend for headgaskets! Mine is done.

All in all this was just a remove and replace event. But I found it to be rather a bitch. The not fun part was cleaning the cooling system. I had a mess of oil in my cooling system and mud in the resevior. After getting everything a back together, I filled the cooling system up with water and 1/2 cup of Cascade ( dish washer soap disolved). I ran the car for about 10 minutes and cool, and then drained. I could not even believe the **** that came out there. I filled the cooling system up 3 times with water for a complete flushing ( i pulled the block plug everytime - what a mess).

While I had everything disassembled, I took the opportunity to put in an adjustable cam gear to see if i could get some more fun out of my Schrick cam. I set it 2 degrees advance. So far after only an afternoon of driving, I can definitely tell that the sweet spot were the cam comes on has moved down in the rpm range. I think i like it.

did it smoke for a while after replacement?
    Quote Originally Posted by JoeS
    All in all this was just a remove and replace event. But I found it to be rather a bitch. The not fun part was cleaning the cooling system. I had a mess of oil in my cooling system and mud in the resevior. After getting everything a back together, I filled the cooling system up with water and 1/2 cup of Cascade ( dish washer soap disolved). I ran the car for about 10 minutes and cool, and then drained. I could not even believe the **** that came out there. I filled the cooling system up 3 times with water for a complete flushing ( i pulled the block plug everytime - what a mess).

While I had everything disassembled, I took the opportunity to put in an adjustable cam gear to see if i could get some more fun out of my Schrick cam. I set it 2 degrees advance. So far after only an afternoon of driving, I can definitely tell that the sweet spot were the cam comes on has moved down in the rpm range. I think i like it.

i almost blew my headgasket when my water pump went out on me and it overheated i replaced it and forgot to bleed the system and of course the gauge didnt register it overheatin because it had no water going to the sensor i noticed when it started pinging and clunking on the test drive lucky i pulled over let it get cool and bled it and all is fine close call. i was almost sure it would have blown it but i got lucky

It smoked only for about 3 - 5 minutes. Just to burn off the residual. My question to your delima - You clean did you get the gasket surfaces on the head and block? When i had the machine shop test my head, i had them clean it to death. My block surface was not so clean, there was some staining and very mild pitting due to the leaking.
    I got about my compressor and course brush and polished it right up.
    Another question - how reliable is your torque wrench? When is the last time you had it calibrated? And what was the final torque value you used?

Joe

Everything was cleaned real well. The torque wrench is brand new. Craftsman Digitork. Work real well. 58 ft/lbs. After 25 mins then an additional 35 degrees.
    Quote Originally Posted by JoeS
    It smoked only for about 3 - 5 minutes. Just to burn off the residual. My question to your delima - You clean did you get the gasket surfaces on the head and block? When i had the machine shop test my head, i had them clean it to death. My block surface was not so clean, there was some staining and very mild pitting due to the leaking.
    I got about my compressor and course brush and polished it right up.
    Another question - how reliable is your torque wrench? When is the last time you had it calibrated? And what was the final torque value you used?

Joe