GO FISHING, use SLABSAUCE Fishing Attractant
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: if the fan clutch keeps running

Default if the fan clutch keeps running

if it keeps running after motor is off does it need replacement????

Could be.

Not easy to explain what a working fan clutch 'feels' like. Once you've had a bum one and replaced it, you'll notice the difference.

Try this. With the hood popped, but not upright (just raised above the engine bay) and the engine running (warm), you should feel considerable airflow out the sides. With the hood up and at a safe distance, you should also feel quite a bit of airflow aroud the fan shroud.

Not recommended, but if you can't tell, do the old rolled up newspaper into the fan at idle (warm). If it stops it without much effort, its not locked and likely bad. Just watch you don't jam it in there the wrong way for some quick confety, or worse

10/90 Build 525im, 630,000+km, Eibach/Sachs, Engine Rebuild
    *RIP Oskar the DOG *

Can you diagnose this problem: my car will slightly overheat if I am at lets say a drive- thru or stop in front of someones house and leave the car on after I've been driving for awhile. (If I put the heat on, the needle will also go back down to dead center) As soon as I start driving again, the temp goes back to its normal position. Does this sound like a fan clutch or a faulty thermostat??

Default Sounds like the fan clutch

Quote Originally Posted by E34 530
    Can you diagnose this problem: my car will slightly overheat if I am at lets say a drive- thru or stop in front of someones house and leave the car on after I've been driving for awhile. (If I put the heat on, the needle will also go back down to dead center) As soon as I start driving again, the temp goes back to its normal position. Does this sound like a fan clutch or a faulty thermostat??
    Mine was doing the exact same thing, changed the fan clutch and haven't had a problem since

Quote Originally Posted by E34 530

Second the fan clutch. Typical symptoms.

Dave M

*RIP Oskar the DOG *

does it overheat? if not then NO
    95 E34 530I V2.37
    ===========
    Those who make peaceful revolution impossible will make violent revolution inevitable.

John F. Kennedy

forget about this rolled paper test, this is the BEST info I know
    http://www.mwrench.com/Whitepapers/FanClutchtest.pdf

And yes, your fan clutch is done.

I'm not sure anybody has addressed diamond's actual question. How can a fan "clutch" keep turning after the engine is off as it is driven by the engine.
    Anthony
    03/64 production

'91M5 - 11/90, was mine, it's Jim's now.

Quote Originally Posted by Anthony (M5 in Calgary)
    I'm not sure anybody has addressed diamond's actual question. How can a fan "clutch" keep turning after the engine is off as it is driven by the engine.
    I think he means after he shuts the engine off it continues to "free spin" for a few rotations. At least that's what I thought of the question.

Quote Originally Posted by Anthony (M5 in Calgary)
    Maybe took for granted that diamond understood that bum clutches are not 'locked' at operating temp and will continue to spin briefly after the engine is shut down (rather than coming to an abrupt halt with the crankshaft). This spining is not, I repeat NOT a manifestation of cold fusion or any other 'free' self sustaining energy

Dave M

*RIP Oskar the DOG *

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast