Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 14

Thread: before i install the eat chip

  1. #1

    Default before i install the eat chip

    hey guys

    just a quick question, do i have to run my tank down and then fill it up with 91 octane gas cause i have been running 89 octane in it??

  2. #2
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Location
    Vancouver, Canada
    Posts
    1,301

    Default

    i would
    -inc


    '91 e31 850
    '90 e34 535
    '02 CBR F4i stunt/track bike
    '07 gsxr 750 stunt bike

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Posts
    448

    Default

    Yes definitely, running on 89 with a chip could be harmful to the engine

    Present: Black 1995 525i | Past: Red 1989 535i; Black 1985 535i

  4. #4

    Default

    should i completely drain it, like how far down will be safe, until light is on, or what, need some advice boys, thanks



    Quote Originally Posted by SchnellE34
    Yes definitely, running on 89 with a chip could be harmful to the engine

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Benneton (United Colors of)
    Posts
    3,067

    Default

    if you are in the united states, you should have already been using 91 octane fuel, the damage has already likely been done, as you have a 10:1 compression ratio and no knock sensor (it says on your gas door to use premium unleaded gasoline). if you live in the US/canada, and are in an area with 93, just mix your remaining gas with 93, and, so long as you have 1/2 or less of a tank left, the average will be 91 octane,which is fine for the eat. i'm not trying to be a dick to you, but i don't know why people with m50s think that the presence of a knock sensor makes it OK to run less than premium. i'll occasionally run a tank of 87 (because somebody attempts to fill the tank for me), and no additional knock compared to 93 octane occurs.
    "..Torchinski v. Peterson that it is legal to carry a concealed weapon, so long the weapon is totally slick like a huge ass machine gun that you carry under a trench coat, like in the Matrix."


  6. #6

    Default

    what kind of damage is done to the engine??



    Quote Originally Posted by ryan roopnarine
    if you are in the united states, you should have already been using 91 octane fuel, the damage has already likely been done, as you have a 10:1 compression ratio and no knock sensor (it says on your gas door to use premium unleaded gasoline). if you live in the US/canada, and are in an area with 93, just mix your remaining gas with 93, and, so long as you have 1/2 or less of a tank left, the average will be 91 octane,which is fine for the eat. i'm not trying to be a dick to you, but i don't know why people with m50s think that the presence of a knock sensor makes it OK to run less than premium. i'll occasionally run a tank of 87 (because somebody attempts to fill the tank for me), and no additional knock compared to 93 octane occurs.

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Maryland, Virginia, D.C.
    Posts
    705

    Default

    Yes, the EAT chip requires 91 or above. So just use most of the tank and filler up with 93. You can't use 87 anymore. I have the conforti, but it's pretty matched up with the EAT's.

    You'll notice a good bit more pep all around. And your gas mileage will jump a few per gallon. Of course the gas costs more, but it's been very much worth it for me. I hate feeling like I need to push the car to get it to move. Also rev'ing to get on a highway or whatnot is very responsive.

    Your engine will be fine. Just make sure everything is in good order- oil/filter/spark plugs/gaskets and it'll be happy.

  8. #8

    Default

    thanks alot, i know, i have it regularly maintained and its in great working order, im really excited about the extra pep, is the chip hard to install, anything i need to be careful about/ or just follow the bmwe34 site and i should be fine?



    Quote Originally Posted by ThoreauHD
    Yes, the EAT chip requires 91 or above. So just use most of the tank and filler up with 93. You can't use 87 anymore. I have the conforti, but it's pretty matched up with the EAT's.

    You'll notice a good bit more pep all around. And your gas mileage will jump a few per gallon. Of course the gas costs more, but it's been very much worth it for me. I hate feeling like I need to push the car to get it to move. Also rev'ing to get on a highway or whatnot is very responsive.

    Your engine will be fine. Just make sure everything is in good order- oil/filter/spark plugs/gaskets and it'll be happy.

  9. #9
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Dubai - U.A.E
    Posts
    10

    Default

    In My place we use only 95 or 98 Octan and its ok to go for any of these petrol

    it workrd fine for my late 525i M50 and great on my e34 540i auto (which is manual now )
    My Car


  10. #10
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Cincinnati, Ohio
    Posts
    143

    Default

    The directions on bmwe34 are good. Just be really carefull when you are removing any of the clips(at the connector and the post on the back of the board) and try not to bend the boards. Touch something metal and avoid carpet while you are in there(the static could fry the chip or possibly the ecu).

    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Chip Install, How To?
    By all2kool in forum 5 Series BMW
    Replies: 14
    Last Post: 11-16-2004, 10:21 PM
  2. Chip install problem help!!!!
    By THUCK in forum 5 Series BMW
    Replies: 10
    Last Post: 06-07-2004, 02:36 AM
  3. How to install chip in 1988 530i
    By Ed-Holland in forum 5 Series BMW
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 04-17-2004, 02:55 PM
  4. Yes, the avg. guy can certainly Install a chip.
    By Unregistered in forum 5 Series BMW
    Replies: 17
    Last Post: 03-07-2004, 06:50 PM
  5. Can the avg. guy install a chip w/o any problem?
    By Unregistered in forum 5 Series BMW
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: 03-02-2004, 11:50 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •