GO FISHING, use SLABSAUCE Fishing Attractant

Thread: Sachs kit in a touring?

Default Sachs kit in a touring?

Does anyone know if the Sachs kit works on a touring? There was a post where a guy claimed to have a Sachs suspension kit in his touring, but I haven't been able to confirm. Right now the other alternatives are H&R/Koni or factory sport springs and Koni shocks. Are there any other spring options for the touring?

James
    95 525it

Default It seems to work just fine....

I used the kit that came off of my 1989 535. Removed self levelling rear suspension bits.

Road tested:

Track tested:

Quote Originally Posted by Jjcarr
    Does anyone know if the Sachs kit works on a touring? There was a post where a guy claimed to have a Sachs suspension kit in his touring, but I haven't been able to confirm.

James 95 525it

I think there are factory sport springs-check this link:

http://www.bmwe34.net/e34main/Mainte...uspensions.htm
    Aaron

95 525iT (130k m.)
    86 325 (190k m.)
    76 2002 (125k m.) sold

Quote Originally Posted by Scott H
    I used the kit that came off of my 1989 535. Removed self levelling rear suspension bits.
    So it bolts up no problem? (other than the self-leveling that is) How is the ride/handling compared to stock on the touring?

Quote Originally Posted by eggdog23
    I think there are factory sport springs-check this link:

http://www.bmwe34.net/e34main/Mainte...uspensions.htm
    Yeah, I mentioned those. Definitely an option, but I'm really looking to get a setup with progressive springs, and those probably aren't.

Default Yeah, it bolts up without a problem....

The typical front strut and strut mount compatibility issues must be observed, but most shocks with the sachs kit come with M12 shafts (to fit through early style mounts), and a spacer sleeve with 1mm walls to use on the strut mounts with M14 openings.

The rear shock mounts are different on a touring with SLS. If you plan to remove the SLS, then plan on replacing the rear strut mounts with standard ones.

I cannot comment as to the ride quality compared to stock suspension for a few reasons. First, I bought the touring in a relatively dilapidated state. Before I put my 535 suspn on it, it was like driving a marshmallow.....with clunks from blown thrust arm bushings and broken sway bar links. Second, it's been so long since I've driven/ridden in a stock E34 that I cannot remember what it feels like. I will have a chance this weekend to drive a stock 1992 touring. Lastly, I have used 17" wheels with relatively stiff sidewall tires, and 16" wheels for winter use. I put a set of Michelin PS2 on the wagon a few weeks ago and they are MUCH more compliant and comfortable. The ride is once again bearable over longer trips. I would assume on 15" wheels, it is very compliant.

Quote Originally Posted by Jjcarr
    So it bolts up no problem? (other than the self-leveling that is) How is the ride/handling compared to stock on the touring?