GO FISHING, use SLABSAUCE Fishing Attractant
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Door Panel Woes...

Default Door Panel Woes...

Well, the time has come to do some post winter maintainence. I've noticed a little rust on the outside of my door...

OK so this doesn't look that bad...

ZOMG! it is bad :-(

Yes thats the door skin spreading apart.

Close your eyes...

OK. There is some structual damage to the inside door skin, and upon digging around with a pick there's a hole that goes clear though the door. Let me know if i'm on the right path, I plan on pulling my inside door panel off so I can have better access, sandblasting/filling/fiberglassing/whatever is needed to get it's structual integrity back, then priming/painting and hopefully blending a decent match. Do I need to prime the metal before filling/fiberglassing? Also does anybody know what kind of glue BMW uses to hold the door skins together? Thanks,

NovceGuru
    1993 525iA M50TU
    Black on Black...need pics
    208,888 miles

That's salt. You will have to clean everything bare, then clean with lots of water to remove the salt from inside the door. (it comes off the glass and ends up at the bottom). Then dry fast in low humidity environment and hit with de-oxidant and rust-converter. Then undercoat and top-coats. No black metal, all shiny. It will still rust but take longer. You need to replace the door to fix it properly. Nick

Join the Aussie
    540i LE yahoo forum

08/88 535i e34 M30+miller MAF, 'stiens, tints & teeth!

from the different colors it looks like it was repaired once already.
    95 E34 530I V2.37
    ===========
    Those who make peaceful revolution impossible will make violent revolution inevitable.

John F. Kennedy

looks like my doors did
    If it cannot be fixed by the dremel or ducktape.. get out the sledge...
    --------------------------------------------------------------------
    I miss my e34

Quote Originally Posted by 632 Regal
    from the different colors it looks like it was repaired once already.
    That was my futile pre-winter attempt with rust killer. I've scalled and sanded what is there now and have soaked it with rust converter for now, hopefully this weekend I can tackle this project. What de-oxidant do I need? Also do you guys have a good source for auto paint? Carquest seems to be a rip off. I got an A on a pottery project in art class, i'm sure bondo/fiberglass isn't much different :P I've done fiberglass repairs on my Peugeot, they didn't turn out bad. I'll take pics during the whole process for everyone to point out my novice mistakes
    1993 525iA M50TU
    208,888 miles

Quote Originally Posted by dacoyote
    looks like my doors did
    Ohio weather is just lovely isn't it
    1993 525iA M50TU
    208,888 miles

Quote Originally Posted by NovceGuru
    That was my futile pre-winter attempt with rust killer. I've scalled and sanded what is there now and have soaked it with rust converter for now, hopefully this weekend I can tackle this project. What de-oxidant do I need? Also do you guys have a good source for auto paint? Carquest seems to be a rip off. I got an A on a pottery project in art class, i'm sure bondo/fiberglass isn't much different :P I've done fiberglass repairs on my Peugeot, they didn't turn out bad. I'll take pics during the whole process for everyone to point out my novice mistakes
    I'd buy new doors, there are lots available atm- you can strip the parts you don't use and sell them off. Once the rust starts in a seam like that ti goes all the way along. The idea is not to let it start. I don't know why salt is allowed on a road, you guys should hang ur politicians for destroying your rides cos they are too cheap to clear the roads or enforce studed tyres. Its just damned unnecessary and bloody minded approach to winter road maintenance...

Join the Aussie
    540i LE yahoo forum

Yes...salt does suck, I wish my car hadn't been dipped in it by the PO's or it would never see it. I'm not really in the financial situation for new doors ATM but will be in a few months, maybe i'll just rough it until then, although my car looks pretty funny missing the lower door trim
    1993 525iA M50TU
    208,888 miles

Yes...salt does suck, I wish my car hadn't been dipped in it by the PO's or it would never see it. I'm not really in the financial situation for new doors ATM but will be in a few months, maybe i'll just rough it until then, although my car looks pretty funny missing the lower door trim
    I'm sure one of the guys on this forum stripping a 525 would help u out- have u been onto them? Doors doon't always go very fast...

Join the Aussie
    540i LE yahoo forum

My friend Ian is in Warren, Ohio and constantly has doors for sale for little money. On the order of $50 for the whole thing.

www.neobmwbreakers.com

best, whit

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast