GO FISHING, use SLABSAUCE Fishing Attractant
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: More factory amp help needed!

Default More factory amp help needed!

Ok, so I took apart my factory amp, intending to bypass the amp portion and wire directly to the crossover. Unfortunately, when I got it apart it looks different than I expected. Here's what I expected:
    http://www.bimmer.info/forum/showthr...ht=factory+amp

What I have appears to be an amplifier only, it was mounted inwards in the driver's side rear quarter panel. I took it apart and it has none of the windings like a crossover does, and different connections. Did they make a change to the factory amps? Mine is a 3/95 build date. If so, where is the crossover/crossovers? Any help would be appreciated, it's in pieces now.
    Matt J.

'95 540/6- Jim C. chip, Bilsteins, B&B, For Sale!
    -Sold
    www.wichitabmw.com

Pictures please. I've never worked on an E34 stereo newer than a '93...
    Anthony
    03/64 production

'91M5 - 11/90, was mine, it's Jim's now.

Matt J.

-Sold
    www.wichitabmw.com

Matt J.

-Sold
    www.wichitabmw.com

Sorry for the size and crappy quality, I'm at my in-laws and they don't have an image re-sizer, and a crappy digital camera.
    Matt J.

-Sold
    www.wichitabmw.com

Anybody have any ideas? I can't find any wiring diagrams, I really don't want to just put the damn thing back together again.
    Matt J.

-Sold
    www.wichitabmw.com

Quote Originally Posted by onewhippedpuppy
    Anybody have any ideas? I can't find any wiring diagrams, I really don't want to just put the damn thing back together again.
    You have a more up to date system. Your amp looks like a normal power amp instead of the bodgey booster we are all so happy about replacing, but I am no expert...

I would guess that they went to a line-level feed to the boot-mounted amp, and may have put passive cross-over components in line with the speakers themselves (ie mounted on the driver assemblies) as this is the way it should have been done in the first place...

Check out the feed from the head unit- measure the output to see. Perhaps connect it to a speaker to see if you get more than a peep out of it. If it barely makes any noise with the volume on half-way, I am right.

If so, you can simply replace the amp with an aftermarket one to get more power and/or add a sub. Either way, you won't get the results we've been getting in the eralier cars as your factory setup is probably better, but adding a sub should you do this will certainly help as you can probably imagine.

Has your car got a total of 6 speakers up front and 4 down the back btw or is it a different configuration?

Gee those pics sucked big time... Nick
    Last edited by genphreak; 04-15-2006 at 04:44 AM.

Join the Aussie
    540i LE yahoo forum

08/88 535i e34 M30+miller MAF, 'stiens, tints & teeth!

This is what I get for taking a project with me. It's the same speaker configuration, I found what looks like the same pin-out for a '95 E36 amp, I may try checking voltages like you suggested, or just hooking up a speaker direct.
    Matt J.

-Sold
    www.wichitabmw.com

You won't find inductive components in an electronic crossover. Why? Because they're big, expensive, and hard to mount, plus their functionality in a passive crossover can be easily synthesized by capacitors and active components. I don't have any information on that circuit, but I can state with confidence that the crossovers are there, and you'd find them somewhere just before the output amps.

With more information about the circuit, I'm positive that you can accomplish what you're trying to do.

Further weirdness, my Sony HU doesn't have any sort of OEM interface adapter. The speaker outputs are wired to an adapter that connects to the BMW wiring harness, that's it. So my factory amp is getting an amplified source from the HU. Probably a big part of the reason it sounds like crap. I may try purchasing one of these before I go any further with modifying the amp.

A small note about the amp, I think it still has a built in crossover. The pin-out that I have found has seperate outputs for each mid-bass, midrange, and tweeter, so they must not be built in.
    Matt J.

-Sold
    www.wichitabmw.com

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast