GO FISHING, use SLABSAUCE Fishing Attractant

Thread: Trans Program w/o Car Started??

Default Trans Program w/o Car Started??

Ok, this trans program is starting to really drive me nuts....sometimes taking 3-4 restarts before it will go away. I've printed the documentation on e34.net but I've also noticed a little quirck I wanted to run past you guys.

I can sometimes get the trans program error by just turning the key to the on position (not starting it). What direction would that lead you (fuel pump, ??) ?

Default Alright....my specialty!

My friend, you are about the enter the dark bowels of the world of BMW.

This happened to me a month ago and I was just as upset as you are now.

Did you get a good sized income tax refund this year? If so, then get ready to spend some of it.

I attempted to fix a recurring Trans Prog by changing the fluid and filter on a 4L30E tranny with 150,000+ miles. It was happened everyother day, usually as I approached a stop. After I changed the fluid/filter, the message was on permanently.

My mechanic looked at it and called for a tranny overhaul. He said the internals were very worn. $2200 and a week later, it came back. Evidently, they forgot to clear the code stored in the ECU. Once this was done, I drove it for a week before it happened again. They changed a pressure regulator, code was coming up for that....twice.

After it happened one day later, again, they were thinking of changing the 1/2 gearing valve, since it only occured while coming to a stop. By the way, turning the car off for a few seconds did clear the message/4th gear mode.

Before doing this, they did some research and found a BMW service bulletin that described by continuing problem to a "T". The solution: a new chip ($20) for the ECU that changes the pressure sensing parameters to a more relaxed envelope. I guess the new tranny produces too much or too little pressure at times and the computer program does not like it. So, guess where my car is right now!

Should be done early this afternoon. All this extra work/labor/parts and they're not charging me a cent. I think they are taking this personally and are determined to get it fixed.

Slightly embarrassed? Maybe.

Cool enough to make it right? F'ing A right!!!!

JD

Mine never, ever (knock on wood) comes on while driving. It only happens when you start the car and by restarting a few times it will clear.

That's why I'm having a hard time believing it's the transmission. Plus, my car only has 98,000 miles and the tranny shifts awesome especially in sport mode.

Quote Originally Posted by JScritch
    Mine never, ever (knock on wood) comes on while driving. It only happens when you start the car and by restarting a few times it will clear.

That's why I'm having a hard time believing it's the transmission. Plus, my car only has 98,000 miles and the tranny shifts awesome especially in sport mode.
    Does your tranny actually go into limp mode?
    Scott
    1995 BMW 525i w/139K miles, EAT Chip - (Gone)
    07 525i 22K, 07 328xi (41K)
    1982 Mazda RX-7 w/147K miles (Back again!)

Yes, it goes into limp mode when you start it and get that trans program message. It it in high gear, the selector on the dash goes blank and the car will not shift and slips like a mother when starting from a dead stop.

Yes, it goes into limp mode when you start it and get that trans program message. It it in high gear, the selector on the dash goes blank and the car will not shift and slips like a mother when starting from a dead stop.

Well sorry to hear that.... The best info I found was on the E34 site which you reference.... Battery, "selector switch", fluid level, eprom update, .... Start with the easy ones and work your way through...

Scott
    1995 BMW 525i w/139K miles, EAT Chip - (Gone)
    07 525i 22K, 07 328xi (41K)
    1982 Mazda RX-7 w/147K miles (Back again!)

Default Did you resolder the board? like was mentioned to you

before?

Ok, this trans program is starting to really drive me nuts....sometimes taking 3-4 restarts before it will go away. I've printed the documentation on e34.net but I've also noticed a little quirck I wanted to run past you guys.

I can sometimes get the trans program error by just turning the key to the on position (not starting it). What direction would that lead you (fuel pump, ??) ?

sometimes fuel pump relay may trigger trans prog mesage

deleted air conditioning

Throttle position sensor? It happened to me when it was not running when i forgot to connect it.

-Artem

How about posting some detail about the new ECU chip after you get the car back? We would love to know if it fixed it.