GO FISHING, use SLABSAUCE Fishing Attractant

Thread: Wash car = SRS Warning Light

Default Wash car = SRS Warning Light

1992 525i Auto

Everytime I wash my car (standard high pressure car wash wand) my SRS light comes on the dash when I drive away. I reset it and everything is good until I wash the car again.

What sensor am I getting water into? What can I do to prevent this in the future?

Default You're probably cleaning the engine at the same time with the

high pressure wand and the impact sensors for the srs are mounted on each fenderwell... bright orange looking rectangles with orange wires going to them. If you get water into the connectors then it will triggers the srs fault. Frequently the wire going to them looks all chewed up anyway

Quote Originally Posted by JScritch
    1992 525i Auto

Everytime I wash my car (standard high pressure car wash wand) my SRS light comes on the dash when I drive away. I reset it and everything is good until I wash the car again.

What sensor am I getting water into? What can I do to prevent this in the future?

I'm not opening the hood to wash the engine compartment, but maybe water is getting in there somehow. I'll have to look in that general area and see what I can do to seal it up a little better to prevent the water intrusion. Thanks for the tip though.

Default washing under the fenderwells?

Can that cause a problem? I would not think so since plenty of water gets in there during driving in the rain.

FYI, never had a problem cleaning the vehicle's outside or under the fenderwells with a high pressure wand..

Anyway, keep us advised.

Quote Originally Posted by Bill R.
    high pressure wand and the impact sensors for the srs are mounted on each fenderwell... bright orange looking rectangles with orange wires going to them. If you get water into the connectors then it will triggers the srs fault. Frequently the wire going to them looks all chewed up anyway
    Thanks,

1995 525i Auto, M50TU 2.5L, EAT chip, 1/95 build, USA, 205/65/15 tires, ASC+T, HID, lumbar, EC Mirror, BMW Alpine 5 radio with BMW-Pioneer CD Changer, abt 236k miles, Oxford Green/Parchment

How did you reset the SRS light?

With the reset tool you can buy off the web from different vendors.

Quote Originally Posted by JScritch
    With the reset tool you can buy off the web from different vendors.
    Can you give us the name of the tool? It's not the oil and inspection tool is it? You have the more expensive tool right?

Also I would check your hood seals and make sure the hood is sitting properly. You can adjust how low it sits.

Present: Black 1995 525i | Past: Red 1989 535i; Black 1985 535i