GO FISHING, use SLABSAUCE Fishing Attractant
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Roof racks, anybody seen these?

Default Roof racks, anybody seen these?

Saw these on eBay, anybody know anything about them? (looking at the e34 touring model)

http://cgi.ebay.com/ROOF-BARS-for-a-...QQcmdZViewItem

says they will fit and he has 100% good feedback. For the price you cant really go wrong.
    95 E34 530I V2.37
    ===========
    Those who make peaceful revolution impossible will make violent revolution inevitable.

John F. Kennedy

They look almost exactly like Thule Racks - the accessories listed there are defiinitely Thule. Maybe they are a cheap knock off of Thule. The same Thule set up would be around $220. - JT
    Johntee540
    1994 540/6 Black - Tan - 199k
    Cardomain Site: http://www.cardomain.com/ride/737181/1

I think it depends what you want to carry. Brand name racks like Thule and Yakima will easily handle four bikes, a bunch of snowboards or one of those big storage boxes. Lesser racks may not be able to take the weight or withstand the lift (yes, lift) that some items can cause. It could damage your car if it's not up to the job. I've seen it happen -- I used to sell these things.

That said, even a cheap rack should handle one or two bikes, or a couple of pairs of skis.

If it were me, I'd fork out for Thule rather than risk my BMW.

Jay Lebo - Toronto, Canada
    1990 BMW 535i
    5-speed conversion
    Lightened flywheel
    Sachs Suspension Kit
    E.A.T. Chip

Default Thule racks are the best

I carry my 100 pound canoe on my thule racks, securely winched of course. I wouldn't buy any other brand.

You know whats really fun? Traveling at 100mph with that on your roof...haha

Present: Black 1995 525i | Past: Red 1989 535i; Black 1985 535i

Default I have a Thule 369 footpack for sedans that I'd like to get rid of....

only because I have the Thule rig for my wagon. No locks or load bars, sorry. $45 includes shipping. Minimum useage (which means I have not ridden as much as I'd like to unfortunately). They are $100+ new.

I bet they're cheap for a reason.

Go Thule

~6 speed~ Rear Fogs ~ Shadowline ~ Tow Package ~ OEMMM///S38B38

I had a cheap roof rack on my 86 325E. I had a roof box and 2 bike attachments on it with no problems. It worked fine but it destroyed the rubber seals on the doors. It wore holes in all four and caused a lot of extra wind noise. I definitely wouldn't buy a cheap one again. I put a Yakima on my E34 and it fits alot better. It hasn't had any effect on the door seals. Mine are the universal Q towers with the clips. I chose that system because it will fit any car you just have to buy different clips.

Quote Originally Posted by Scott H
    only because I have the Thule rig for my wagon. No locks or load bars, sorry. $45 includes shipping. Minimum useage (which means I have not ridden as much as I'd like to unfortunately). They are $100+ new.
    Scott, I was hunting to find something that would attach to the factory rails on my wagon, but it looks like those Oris racks are just about impossible to find and the factory racks are too $$$ so it looks like Thule is the way to go. Send me an e-mail and I'll buy your towers. E-mail me at: james@jjcarr.com

James

Default You don't want my towers for a touring....

with factory rails....

I sent you an e-mail with more detailed info on the preferred setup

Quote Originally Posted by Jjcarr
    Scott, I was hunting to find something that would attach to the factory rails on my wagon, but it looks like those Oris racks are just about impossible to find and the factory racks are too $$$ so it looks like Thule is the way to go. Send me an e-mail and I'll buy your towers. E-mail me at: james@jjcarr.com

James

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast