GO FISHING, use SLABSAUCE Fishing Attractant

Thread: 89 535 Power Steering Question

Default 89 535 Power Steering Question

Hey,

I had a wining noise coming from the power steering pump. Then I had the pump replaced, and it wines more! I took the cap off the fluid resoviour and the fluid looked bubbly/airy. The unit is leaking, but I cann't determine where. I believe one of the hoses has a crack in it. Has anyone else encountoured this problem? If so, how much are new hoses for the power steering, I counted 3 hoses, and they all look pretty expensive.

You could order the rebuild kit from BMA. The internal seals wear out. If replacing the hoses, check with a local shop that can refit new hose to your existing ends. It may be cheaper than new bmw hoses.
    erased due to slander

Very much on the suction side but should have stains showing.Does it affect the overall operation?

Pull the reservoir and clean it.

Strawberry milkshake is a sign that there's air in the system (typical after an immediate fill -- do a search, I've written on how to bleed the P/S system a few times).

Leaks are typical -- check crush washers at the banjo bolts and crimp clamps at the reservoir fittings (latter can be replaced with good quality hose clamps for a better seal).

If the replacement pump was new or a rebuild by a quality shop, the chattering is likely due to fluid starvation (hence my suggestion to clean the reservoir/filter). But be sure that it's properly bled, first.

best, whit

Just remember of another tip to look at.The pressure hose has halfway a orifice or restriction build in,some times this causes whining noises like it's coming from the pump.In the early days this was common esp on M/Bs.Wiggle on the hose and see if the noise changes.

Quote Originally Posted by Beemr750
    Very much on the suction side but should have stains showing.Does it affect the overall operation?
    The actually easier to turn the steering wheel. Thats the only effect i notice.

Quote Originally Posted by lowell
    Pull the reservoir and clean it.

Strawberry milkshake is a sign that there's air in the system (typical after an immediate fill -- do a search, I've written on how to bleed the P/S system a few times).

Leaks are typical -- check crush washers at the banjo bolts and crimp clamps at the reservoir fittings (latter can be replaced with good quality hose clamps for a better seal).

If the replacement pump was new or a rebuild by a quality shop, the chattering is likely due to fluid starvation (hence my suggestion to clean the reservoir/filter). But be sure that it's properly bled, first.

best, whit
    Thank you, the fluid does look like "strawberry milkshake". I will try this weekend. It only makes noise when you turn the wheel. On idle is a very quite whine, but it whines nontheless.