GO FISHING, use SLABSAUCE Fishing Attractant

Thread: Auto Dip

Default Auto Dip

Sorry guys, there's something else that's not working with the E34: The automatic rear view mirror (auto-dip). I've check the fuse under the hood they are all good. Any ideas?

Its a common problem, usualy its the motor itself, roll down the passenger window, lean waaaaay over with one foot on the brake and the engine running. Shift into reverse while taping on the botom of the mirror, if it moves replace the motor. Make sure you get the correct part, the non-diping motor is different. failing that, next thing is to check the switch for it, my faulty memory tells me its next to the shifter, under the wood.

Default Sorry!

Quote Originally Posted by joshua43214
    Its a common problem, usualy its the motor itself, roll down the passenger window, lean waaaaay over with one foot on the brake and the engine running. Shift into reverse while taping on the botom of the mirror, if it moves replace the motor. Make sure you get the correct part, the non-diping motor is different. failing that, next thing is to check the switch for it, my faulty memory tells me its next to the shifter, under the wood.
    Joshua, my appologies! Its actually the interior rear view mirror I'm talking about; with the headlights on and a car driving behind me with his light on, my mirror is supposed to dip if his lights hit my sensor on the mirror.

This must be a euro car? I've never seen one of the autodippers, but I know a few people around here have them.

My thought is to ditch it entirely (unless you're trying to preserve the historical integrity of the car) and replace it with a later autodimming unit -- it should retrofit perfectly.

Now, there are three wires in the mirror's harness. If you have a multimeter handy (or a test light), you can easily determine if it's the mirror or a wiring issue. Brown is ground. From what I remember of the wiring diagram, one lead is continuous power, non ignition switched; the other is headlight switched (headlights go on and the mirror knows that it's dark). Should get ~ 12v on the non switched lead at all times; then turn the lights on and see if you get about the same from the other one. Maybe someone can look up the correct color of the wiring for you -- long day.

best, whit

Default Thanks, I'll have a look

Quote Originally Posted by lowell
    This must be a euro car? I've never seen one of the autodippers, but I know a few people around here have them.

My thought is to ditch it entirely (unless you're trying to preserve the historical integrity of the car) and replace it with a later autodimming unit -- it should retrofit perfectly.

Now, there are three wires in the mirror's harness. If you have a multimeter handy (or a test light), you can easily determine if it's the mirror or a wiring issue. Brown is ground. From what I remember of the wiring diagram, one lead is continuous power, non ignition switched; the other is headlight switched (headlights go on and the mirror knows that it's dark). Should get ~ 12v on the non switched lead at all times; then turn the lights on and see if you get about the same from the other one. Maybe someone can look up the correct color of the wiring for you -- long day.

best, whit
    According to Bentley's there's another fuse under the back seat so i'll check there first and then pull the mirror out.

I have a 91...should my mirrors be going down when I throw it in reverse?? I need to replace my rearview also...where can one of these auto-dimming models be picked up at??
    91 535iA M30 Auto
    Born in 3/91 (The Bimmer, not me )

120,000 Miles
    Pics soon--she is a work in progress

Default Some do, some don't

Quote Originally Posted by athflying79
    I have a 91...should my mirrors be going down when I throw it in reverse?? I need to replace my rearview also...where can one of these auto-dimming models be picked up at??
    I know someone with an '89 model whose outside dip in reverse but mine('90) doesn't.