GO FISHING, use SLABSAUCE Fishing Attractant

Thread: New problem to deal with...

Default New problem to deal with...

My car doesn't start now. As soon as I turn the key the starter makes ticking sounds. I imagine that maybe from the cogs of starter gear coming in slight contact with the flywheel, due to inability of the solenoid to provide good push, possibly for related electrical drain problem. The ticking does not continue indefinitely - the lamps of the speedometer dim away very noticably, as if the drain gets to originate in the "start" position of the key.

Has someone had anything similar occur?

I will have to check for current drain that originates in "start" position. Perhaps there is a short circuit at the starter that prevents the solenoid to engage. I have consequently checked the resistance across battery cables finding meager 87 Ohm resistance in "off" position of the switch. I don't think that this is normal resistance but I'd like to know what others think/know about it since I've never checked it before this problem.

deleted air conditioning

Default Its your battery most likely , do a load test on the battery, check the

voltage at the battery, have someone try to start the car as you reading the voltage at the battery, measure the drop and see how quickly it recovers after they quit trying.

Quote Originally Posted by Rustam
    My car doesn't start now. As soon as I turn the key the starter makes ticking sounds. I imagine that maybe from the cogs of starter gear coming in slight contact with the flywheel, due to inability of the solenoid to provide good push, possibly for related electrical drain problem. The ticking does not continue indefinitely - the lamps of the speedometer dim away very noticably, as if the drain gets to originate in the "start" position of the key.

Has someone had anything similar occur?

I will have to check for current drain that originates in "start" position. Perhaps there is a short circuit at the starter that prevents the solenoid to engage. I have consequently checked the resistance across battery cables finding meager 87 Ohm resistance in "off" position of the switch. I don't think that this is normal resistance but I'd like to know what others think/know about it since I've never checked it before this problem.

agreed... start with charging or changing your battery. If your battery was good, the starter would crank for a long time with no dimming of dash lights.
    1994 540ia|Oxford Green Metallic|Lemforder|KYB in H&R|18" OE Staggered M-Parallel with Pirelli P-Zero

Quote Originally Posted by Bill R.
    voltage at the battery, have someone try to start the car as you reading the voltage at the battery, measure the drop and see how quickly it recovers after they quit trying.
    the voltage at the battery was 11.75V today when I attempted to start again - I guessed this was sufficient. I've seen such voltage level many times before this problem.
    Last edited by Rustam; 03-18-2006 at 04:25 PM.

deleted air conditioning

Default You may think its 11.75. put a load on it and measure it

If its an internally shorted battery it will drop to below 8 volts almost instantly

Quote Originally Posted by Rustam
    the voltage at the battery was 11.75V today when I attempted to start again - I guessed this weas sufficient.

Quote Originally Posted by Bill R.
    If its an internally shorted battery it will drop to below 8 volts almost instantly
    thank you - this tip is invaluable

deleted air conditioning

ditto. had one of those on Friday. No amount of charging will fix it. Time for an Autozone Duralast.

Quote Originally Posted by lowell
    ditto. had one of those on Friday. No amount of charging will fix it. Time for an Autozone Duralast.
    the issue is closed...

The battery is 1 year old, packs 11.75V open circuit, with zero drop at load. The problem is with oxygen sensor which I rewired earlier to adjust MAF sensor and the mixture. Thank you.

deleted air conditioning