GO FISHING, use SLABSAUCE Fishing Attractant
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Stock amp important for radio reception?

Default Stock amp important for radio reception?

I read that the stock amp has a role in radio reception which would suffer if the stock amp is removed. Is this true?

I'm about to put in a new system and was wondering if I should leave it in.
    1992 525i
    2004 545i six-speed

Not sure about the original question at hand, but I'm wondering if people have had problems with the stock amp. My left rear speaker is completely silent and my right front (can't tell if it's all three or just the kickboards) cut in and out.

I might eventually need help replcaing all speakers. But, if anyone has had similar problems with the stock amp, please let me know.
    Bob Dennedy
    1992 525i, 5-speed, black, black leather, sunroof, eibach pro sports

I thought my speakers were dying as well, but then I changed my headunit and the sound improved a great deal. I suggest you do the same.
    1992 525i
    2004 545i six-speed

Default indiredtly....(more)

there is a thin white wire that comes off the car harness (switching via the radio volume on/off) that powers both the amp and power antenna which is integral to the rear defogger. If you disonnect your amp be sure to keep switching power to your powered antenna in the rear glass.
    HTH,
    George

Quote Originally Posted by George M
    there is a thin white wire that comes off the car harness (switching via the radio volume on/off) that powers both the amp and power antenna which is integral to the rear defogger. If you disonnect your amp be sure to keep switching power to your powered antenna in the rear glass.
    HTH,
    George
    I'm a bit confused, what do I connect this wire to?

Also which wire do I use for the remote turn on for my aftermarket amps?
    1992 525i
    2004 545i six-speed

Default George - can you provide more detail on the white wire

HTH,
    George
    My head unit was changed by the previous owner, reception on the radio is poor, and the defogger does not work. Could all this be related to the same problem, and what should I do

John 535is 1989 (Sydney)

don't know if there is linkage between your defogger not working and poor reception...but possible...would have to check respective wiring diagrams in the back of Bentley. No mystery about the thin white wire that is part of the car's harness...simply a switching +12V hot that works off the radio volume on/off knob.
    Turn the radio on and the thin white wire becomes hot and powers both the amp in the trunk and the power antenna that is integrated into the defogger. You may want to pull your radio and see if this connection were made properly. Quite common for an aftermarket radio be installed and miss this step. Bentley should show the white wire that connects to both remote amp and antenna.
    HTH,
    George

Default noise & defogger

The PO had a dog (you should have seen the sorry state of the leather!), who apparently scratched most of the defogger traces....
    I made the mistake of trying to repair the scratches with a copper/silver-epoxy kit.... unfortunately this introduces a great amount of noise in the radio reception when the defogger is on....
    1994 530iA Sold
    2003 FX-35
    1991 MR2 Turbo

No mystery about the thin white wire that is part of the car's harness...simply a switching +12V hot that works off the radio volume on/off knob. Turn the radio on and the thin white wire becomes hot and powers both the amp in the trunk and the power antenna that is integrated into the defogger.
    HTH,
    George
    From the beginning, I was planning to use the white wire as the remote turn on. From your previous post, you make it seem that power needed to be supplied to the white wire itself so I was a bit confused.

Sorry for all the questions, but do I use the white wire as the remote turn on or do I need to supply 12v to this white wire?
    Last edited by Kennan; 01-28-2004 at 08:43 PM.
    1992 525i
    2004 545i six-speed

RobPatt Guest

Default Get power to your antenna's amp...

new head unit probably has a blue wire which is not connected, typically used for remote turn on of an external amp.... take this blue wire....
    ... find the white wire in your factory radio harness.... connect the blue wire to it..... that will give your antenna amp power and greatly increase radio reception.... I'm using that white wire for the antenna amp (as should be) and will use to remote turn on a powered sub (infinity basslink)... my stock amp is GONE, I've got new head unit, and infinity kappa components in front... rear infinity basslink soon to come.

hope this helps.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast