GO FISHING, use SLABSAUCE Fishing Attractant
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Why the 5?

Default Why the 5?

Why have you chosen a 5 series? How many have you owned? I chose the 5 because it is soooo un-trendy and usually owned by mature business men/women who don't flog them and have the money to service them properly. This is my second 5.
    Cheers

Wingman
    '89 525i/A Exec 193000kms
    '94 Subaru Liberty AWD Wagon
    Looking for Merc 300TE
    NSW, Australia

My first car/BMW. I was looking for a 535 at the time, but all of the ones I found were in poor condition, or bad color combinations, or way overpriced. Once I found my M20 with all the right colors, with low miles, and in great condition for its age, I was sold. I do dream about extra power, but you'll hear no complaining from me. Love my car. Us '89s are few and far between.

I also want a 540i/6

1992 525i 5 speed (Calypso/Parchment) - 1989 525iA (Schwartz/Natur) SOLD

i was after an E30 323i 5 speed cause my friend's dad owned one and it was bloody awesome, but when i found out it only drank leaded i started looking for a 325i, but they were all quite pricey for what you got... then i switched to wanting an imported merc 190 2.5-16 but while waiting for it to come over i was sitting at work and i thought 'what about the 5 series, they're nice', so i did a search on autotrader and started thinking 'mmm, this is a car for a 50 year old', but on page 2 there was this beauty, didn't take long before i was sold!

I remember seeing the e34 in 1990 and fell inlove with it straight away, specially the 540i. When I waorked at a winery in the hunter valley in the early 90's BMW had test drive for their customers. I knew one of the bm guys as he was a reguilar visitor. He brought up the 540i brand new and said lets go for a burn. 3 hours later i was in awe. I never really had the money to go shopping for one until a little later in life and the car i have now fell into my lap. I had a 2003 commodore ute at the time and had seen my car in a caryard(jag dealer). I had rung 6 months earlier but he wanted more than I had. Then one day my business partner at the time rang to say that someone had smashed into my ute while he was driving it. The other driver said his boss would fix my ute and give me a loan car. Well guess whi his boss was? the owner of the jag dealership. so with a bit of haggling about not wanting to make a claim on his insurance we came to a very ammicable agreement. He gets the ute and I keep the loan car i had for 6 weeks. The e34!

Quote Originally Posted by Randell
    i then i switched to wanting an imported merc 190 2.5-16 but while waiting for it to come over i was sitting at work and i thought 'what about the 5 series, they're nice', so i did a search on autotrader and started thinking 'mmm, this is a car for a 50 year old', but on page 2 there was this beauty, didn't take long before i was sold!
    Yeah the Cosworth Merc would be sweet. You're right on track with the '50 yr old' comment. That's why our cars are in such good nick.
    Cheers

Wingman
    '89 525i/A Exec 193000kms
    '94 Subaru Liberty AWD Wagon
    Looking for Merc 300TE
    NSW, Australia

being an old mans car, it was my fathers and with little persuasion I got hold of it. The rest is history.

I bought my first BMW when I was 30. I still have it. A '91 525i, it now has 213,000 miles on it. I fell in love with the classic looks of the car.
    I contemplated selling it about 3 years ago and I'm glad I didn't!!!

When I was 13 back in 1997 i think, or around there, a good friend of mine had a 94 530i 5 speed. I absolutely loved the car, and thus started a BMW passion. After high school I went to tech school for auto mechanics and then I went to work for the BMW dealership in my town. Finally about a year and a half ago I got my first BMW a 95 530i. I dont know what it is about the 5, but its just awesome. Its mostly a feeling thing for me. I dont really care what other people think of the car. Its mostly just feeling good about myself. When I look down at the steering wheel and see that BMW logo, i just feel good. When the headgasket started leaking on my 530i a few months ago, I was in a debate whether or not to get another car to replace it. After a few days of test drives and looking all around town at various makes and models, i came the conclusion that I just wanted to keep my BMW. So I bought an E30 325i to drive while I fix the other car. Although I am pleasantly suprised by the E30, its still not my 530i.

Growing up I always loved the look and the sound of BMWs. It was always the 5 and 7 series I liked the best.

I remember going to the BMW dealer with my dad in 1991, when I was about 11, he had a list of company cars to choose from and a 525i was one of the choices.

I totally loved it , I remember the salesman going on about the brand new 24v engine and 5 speed auto hehe. I sat in it thought oh yes this is so cool.

Unfortunately my dad didnt want to pay the extra company car tax on a 2.5 so he chose a 2.3 volvo 940 instead ! I thought to myself Im gonna get a 5 series one day ... and I did

1991 BMW 525i sport manual, BBTB, Mintex Extreme Pads, Bilstein dampers and Eibach springs,Viper2 chip, //M5 Replica.

I can honestly say that I did not lust over this car like many of you did. I've always been a sports car guy, my one shot at a family sedan (Audi A4) only lasted 6 months. But, after a while I got tired of riding in my 944 Turbo alone. To elaborate, in order to bring my son in his car seat, my wife had to scoot so far forward that her knees were in the dash, so I rarely had passengers. Anyway, when I finally broke down and decided to get yet another 4 door, I started browsing the BMW and Audi forums looking for someone to trade for my 951. I eventually found the owner of my 540/6, and the rest is history. I no longer miss my 951, nor do I long for a sports car. The E34 is the perfect compromise. Also, I had been going through more than one car a year for the last five or so, I guess I never found what I was looking for. I have now, and I will own this car for a long time. At least until I graduate from college and can afford a E34 or E39 M5.
    Matt J.

'95 540/6- Jim C. chip, Bilsteins, B&B, For Sale!
    -Sold
    www.wichitabmw.com

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast