GO FISHING, use SLABSAUCE Fishing Attractant

Thread: caliper question?

Default caliper question?

hi, i was wondering, that if i had a 89 535i with a frozen pass front caliper due to a brake piston boot ripping and the piston getting rusty in a out position, could i just replace the caliper with a used one off pancakes and arts part car? or would it be unbalanced? or could i just get a caliper rebuild kit somewhere?

thanks

kyle

You can certainly replace it with a good used one, provided it is the same type. While it is always better to rebuild used calipers after a certain length of time (and the fact that one of yours seized is a good indication that they are all near the threshold), good used ones work in a pinch. What about replacing both fronts?

Default Yeah you can grab a used one and swap it right over....

just inspect the used caliper and make sure it's not going to have a similar fate as your current frozen caliper.

Quote Originally Posted by kyleN20
    hi, i was wondering, that if i had a 89 535i with a frozen pass front caliper due to a brake piston boot ripping and the piston getting rusty in a out position, could i just replace the caliper with a used one off pancakes and arts part car? or would it be unbalanced? or could i just get a caliper rebuild kit somewhere?

thanks

kyle

It HAS to be the SAME brand caliper. You musn't use different brand calipers. If the one on your car is an ATE, then the donor must also be an ATE...not Girling.

Before I sold my 535, I ended up replacing the calipers also. They were somewhere around $45 after core. Not too expensive.

I know it can be done, but rebuilding the caliper with a kit is just a waste of time in the long run.

Quote Originally Posted by Erwin8r
    You can certainly replace it with a good used one, provided it is the same type. While it is always better to rebuild used calipers after a certain length of time (and the fact that one of yours seized is a good indication that they are all near the threshold), good used ones work in a pinch. What about replacing both fronts?
    If the other boots are intact, they are probably fine.
    Lowered with blue h&r(?) springs, Bilsteins, tint, 19# design 3 injectors, Dual Magnaflow
    southwest WA

thanks for the help guys, mucho apprication

FYI, I've recond two pistons on my car due to difficulty and expense of finding calipers for 540s over here. Luckily neither was far gone, but it takes an awful lot of elbow grease to bring 'em back to working condition. And for an inexperienced type like me, it's satan's own job getting the new outer dust seal on...