GO FISHING, use SLABSAUCE Fishing Attractant

Thread: 1991 525i electrical question, please help >>

Default 1991 525i electrical question, please help >>

During the past 2-3 weeks, the following problems surfaced:

1)My radio code began to be required intermittantly whenever I would start the car in the morning & evening. Now always.
    2) My clock began to lose time (it would lose hours overnight).
    3) My doorlocks would sometimes not work. I was locked out one day (didn't know about mechanical override), and then the next morning they worked.

Over the past weekend I bought a new battery since the previous one was about 5 years old, assuming that that may fix the problems. It actually did for about 2 days, until all these problems above began again. I checked whether the battery was charging after 3 days of driving, and it is, therefore I am assuming that the alternator is fine.

I have no idea how the car runs fine, but these above problems are all related? Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thank you for reading.
    Last edited by jsdp; 03-02-2006 at 10:19 AM.

Default Go here to Bruno's website and check this

area on fusible links, your problem is going to be a cracked fusble link. Here's Bruno's page

Quote Originally Posted by jsdp
    During the past 2-3 weeks, the following problems surfaced:

1)My radio code began to be required intermittantly whenever I would start the car in the morning & evening. Now always.
    2) My clock began to lose time (it would lose hours overnight).
    3) My doorlocks would sometimes not work. I was locked out one day (didn't know about mechanical override), and then the next morning they worked.

Over the past weekend I bought a new battery since the previous one was about 5 years old, assuming that that may fix the problems. It actually did for about 2 days, until all these problems above began again. I check whether the battery was charging after 3 days of driving, and it is, therefore I am assuming that the alternator is fine.

I have no idea how the car runs fine, but these above problems are all realted? Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thank you for reading.

Thanks Bill R. I will check that fuseable link. Any other recommendations if that appears ok?

Default Nope, but i can virtually guarantee that thats what it is...

Quote Originally Posted by jsdp
    Thanks Bill R. I will check that fuseable link. Any other recommendations if that appears ok?

Quote Originally Posted by Bill R.
    Thank you very much Bill R. You were exactly right. The fuseable link was cracked, so I will hopefully get a replacement tomorrow. You have just made my weekend !!! Thanks again.