GO FISHING, use SLABSAUCE Fishing Attractant

Thread: q----what are the rear pitman arms and front sways "made" of.....

Default q----what are the rear pitman arms and front sways "made" of.....

ie, are they bushing bearing devices, or do they have ball bearings in them...looking under das car reveals that at very least the back left ones have destroyed rubber boots, on both dogbones and rear swaybar links, and i can't afford 55 dollar replacements on each side.. if they are ball bearing devices, ill repack and make another boot, if not....also, same question for front sway links, are they some type of poly bushing inside, or balljoint. tia.
    "..Torchinski v. Peterson that it is legal to carry a concealed weapon, so long the weapon is totally slick like a huge ass machine gun that you carry under a trench coat, like in the Matrix."

If the boot is cracked on the sway bar link or dogbones, then there is a big chance that there is dirt in the part already.

If you don't have the cash, go with the cheapest brand... but you know that it will happen again in 6 month to 1 year.

Do it right with Lemforder parts and do it once... I think that there is ball joint replacement boots for the ball joints on the thrust arms and control arms, but I don't think there is any for the sway bar links.
    '85 Euro 635csi Race Turbo, megasquirt, Group A
    '92 525i Touring 5 speed, 3.46 diff, UUC 8.5lb flywheel, soon to be turbo.
    '02 Subaru WRX Wagon with STI springs, bigger sway bars

The rear links are just rubber and the front links are 2 opposed ball joints. No ball bearings anywheres.

FYI, I have spare front and rear links, from when I removed the sways and installed the mtech ones. I'll give them to you for the cost of shipping, they're still in good shape.

Custom Turbocharged 1991 535iM - 135k mi.

Free is good. BMA for best prices. I think more like $60 for pair of pitman arms at BMA. They have an online catalog, www.bmaparts.com

Mike

Default if the fronts....

are ball jointed, i can get them to live again, im very good at things such as that, that's what i meant by (ballbearing), as synonomous to me as ball joint bearing.....lemme see exactly what's broken on my car before i ask anything of you, and thanks for your offer....i was hoping that the fronts were jointed. my stoopid thrust arm boots just died too, im thinking that i can keep everything in good working order by taking a syringe every week filled with wheel bearing grease and injecting the broken rubber areas until everything looks flushed.
    "..Torchinski v. Peterson that it is legal to carry a concealed weapon, so long the weapon is totally slick like a huge ass machine gun that you carry under a trench coat, like in the Matrix."

Default i thought

that it was 55 for each, not for the pair.

Quote Originally Posted by mholbrook
    Free is good. BMA for best prices. I think more like $60 for pair of pitman arms at BMA. They have an online catalog, www.bmaparts.com

Mike

It's definately a ball joint, top and bottom. The rears are just rubber inside a metal shell, so to speak.

Custom Turbocharged 1991 535iM - 135k mi.

Default i guess 70

for the pair isn't that bad......i want to see what i can refurb myself though first.

Quote Originally Posted by ryan roopnarine
    that it was 55 for each, not for the pair.