GO FISHING, use SLABSAUCE Fishing Attractant
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Mounting a Harness Belt in a E34

Default Mounting a Harness Belt in a E34

Have any of you mounted a 4 point hardness in a E34? If so what did you uses as your anchors?

Thanks,
    -bj

Harness in a 525? That would probably look kinda rough. Each to their own. You may possibly look at using the seat mounting bolts in the rear, if your kit is like the kind I have seen.

Quote Originally Posted by loftygoals
    Have any of you mounted a 4 point hardness in a E34? If so what did you uses as your anchors?

Thanks,
    -bj

Corey Horton
    1992 BMW 535i

Quote Originally Posted by clhorton
    Harness in a 525? That would probably look kinda rough. Each to their own. You may possibly look at using the seat mounting bolts in the rear, if your kit is like the kind I have seen.
    Well new seats are planned as well. That should help the look.

-bj

first you start with installing a roll cage, then you weld a tab to the cross bar, then you can bolt the shoulder harness to that.
    95 E34 530I V2.37
    ===========
    Those who make peaceful revolution impossible will make violent revolution inevitable.

John F. Kennedy

The new seats might have mounting points?
    Lowered with blue h&r(?) springs, Bilsteins, tint, 19# design 3 injectors, Dual Magnaflow
    southwest WA

Default Your wife, who doesn't want to ride in a car....

that has faded paint (which can probably be brought back greatly by a good detailer) would like to ride around in a 5 series with Sparcos and 4 point belts?

Quote Originally Posted by loftygoals
    To be honest, I'll probably do the cosmetic stuff first. Only because my wife hates going anywhere in the car because of the ugly fading paint.
    -bj

kinda...
    http://www.miata.net/garage/seat/
    Quote Originally Posted by Alexlind123
    The new seats might have mounting points?
    still need the cage.
    95 E34 530I V2.37
    ===========
    Those who make peaceful revolution impossible will make violent revolution inevitable.

John F. Kennedy

LMFAO!!!
    Quote Originally Posted by Scott H
    that has faded paint (which can probably be brought back greatly by a good detailer) would like to ride around in a 5 series with Sparcos and 4 point belts?
    95 E34 530I V2.37
    ===========

John F. Kennedy

If you're doing it for looks, don't.

If you're doing it for a legitimate reason- like tracking the car- then you will want 5 or 6 point harnesses (NOT 4 point) and you will not want to install them without a rollbar.

The only other possible solution is one of those snap in harnesses (Scroth), but they are a compromise at best and dangerous at worst. I have ridden/instructed in a couple of cars equipped with them, and the lap belt always wants to ride up unless you keep the shoulder straps way too loose.

Anything else is asking for injury in the case of an accident.

Bret.

Quote Originally Posted by Rigmaster
    If you're doing it for looks, don't.

If you're doing it for a legitimate reason- like tracking the car- then you will want 5 or 6 point harnesses (NOT 4 point) and you will not want to install them without a rollbar.

The only other possible solution is one of those snap in harnesses (Scroth), but they are a compromise at best and dangerous at worst. I have ridden/instructed in a couple of cars equipped with them, and the lap belt always wants to ride up unless you keep the shoulder straps way too loose.

Anything else is asking for injury in the case of an accident.

Bret.
    My motive is simple. I've scheduled 10 DEs for this season. I may not always want to put the wear and tear on the M Coupe, so I've been toying with the idea of tracking the 525i. I figure by the mid part of the season, I could have enough completed on the car (suspension, LSD, new wheels & tires) to competently track it. The stock seats simply won't do at the track. Thus I will install some racing seats. With racing seats, a harness just seems like a logical step.

I'm getting a lot of mixed feedback on 4 vs 5 point harnesses. I've had a lot of people tell me that the seat position in BMWs is angled enough to safely use a harness with a crotch strap. A frontal crash could lead to serious injury.

-bj

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast