GO FISHING, use SLABSAUCE Fishing Attractant

Thread: M5 brake upgrade problems

Default M5 brake upgrade problems

Went to install the m5 (3.6) front calipers on the car today and I think I have the wrong rotor. The hole for mounting new rotor doesn't line-up with the hole on the hub. Ordered from BMA, so I hope they have the correct rotor and I don't need to change anything else.

Did get to install the upper thrust arms from RRT, so the day wasn't a total waste.
    Chip
    '92 535i 5sp
    EAT chip, Sachs kit, RRT sport control and upper thrust arms, SS brakelines, Camber plates, Subframe inserts, 3.64 Diff, M5 (3.6L) calipers.
    '87 325iS

Hopefully you called them early this morning at BMA because I think they work Sat AM. I assume that you have the correct calipers and carriers. The rotors are really heavy at 315 x 28. I've done this conversion and bought the rotors from BMA for that conversion. Never had a problem with fit however. Did you check the part number you need against what was sent?
    Mike Holbrook
    Meridian, Idaho
    1992 535im, 17", Euro M5 Throwing Stars 8's & 9's, FK-451 235/45s & 255/40s, M5 Sway Bars 25/20, Conforti chip, Lowes Ram Air, glass sunroof

Just checked the brembo site and the rotors for the 535 and 540's have the same hole layout for mounting. But the rotors for the m5 have a different layout.
    The rotors that BMA sent are correct (for the m5) according to the Brembo site, they just won't fit on my hub. I guess I'll need a diffent brand.
    Chip
    '92 535i 5sp
    EAT chip, Sachs kit, RRT sport control and upper thrust arms, SS brakelines, Camber plates, Subframe inserts, 3.64 Diff, M5 (3.6L) calipers.
    '87 325iS

You have it right. The hoels do not line up unless you get the M5 hubs. All brands will be like that. You just mount and then bolt the wheels. The rotor works just the same. It can get tricky when lining up the holes.
    Brandon J

Quote Originally Posted by Brandon J
    You have it right. The hoels do not line up unless you get the M5 hubs. All brands will be like that. You just mount and then bolt the wheels. The rotor works just the same. It can get tricky when lining up the holes.
    exactly, the hub is different but the rotors will work fine. I have the same setup on my 93 525. Once you tighten the wheel to the car it will be fine.

darron
    [IMG][/IMG]

Use the lugnuts to hold the rotor in place while attaching the brake caliper.

Default yeah!!

Thanks for everybodies help and suggestions regarding the set screw question. Installed the new m5 calipers, sans screw, this morning and everything went well- plus the car still stops, so I guess I did something right. Now I have to update my signature to include this latest upgrade .

Kind of bummed though- thought the stock 15" wheels would still fit with this setup, so now I might be interested in a trade for some oem 16" or 17".
    Chip
    '92 535i 5sp
    '87 325iS