GO FISHING, use SLABSAUCE Fishing Attractant

Thread: Touring Engine Swap...........

Default Touring Engine Swap...........

is off the back burner and now on the front burner. I bought a 50k mile 96 M3 engine today and expect to see it about the end of the week. I've been procrastinating over the swap for some time. I've been wondering if I should just replace the head on the 2.5 (leaking head gasket smyptoms) and keep on trucking but the engine has 185k miles on it so it's probably best to replace it. Since my 92 525iT is a non Vanos model I've already procured a 95 525i engine harness, w/Vanos, to make the swap work. I'll be using the current factory exhaust from the head on back to the muffler and also the stock, w/fresh rebuild, automatic trans. Not looking for a stoplighht terror but just a cool work car and dog hauler. There is always something that will come up in an engine swap but this one should be relatively painless and I'll be doing it in a BMW shop.

Paul L

sounds like a cool swap, but if you want to take away and be able to get ALOT better resale, i would suggest you do a manual swap also. other then that, best of luck to you and i know i speak for everyone when i say that we would love to see pics and a write up!!

You'll have a great time. I'm at the tail end of a much more mundane engine rebuild (M50) and having a blast / learning a bunch.

However, I gotta second that manual tranny. If you're planning on trans work anyway, why not make it a stick? I am biased though.

Good luck,

Dave M

10/90 Build 525im, 630,000+km, Eibach/Sachs, Engine Rebuild
    *RIP Oskar the DOG *

Quote Originally Posted by Dave M
    You'll have a great time. I'm at the tail end of a much more mundane engine rebuild (M50) and having a blast / learning a bunch.

However, I gotta second that manual tranny. If you're planning on trans work anyway, why not make it a stick? I am biased though.

Good luck,

Dave M
    I'm at the age now that I don't care for a stick since I drive in the city mostly. Everything I've had with a stick has resulted in a ticket. Better to avoid all that with the automatic. Besides, had to justify the price of the swap with the wife and she can drive it, if need be, if it's an automatic.

Paul L

Sounds like a nice swap Paul Please take pics & notes for us- That will be a very nice grocery getter & dog hauler when finished!

Cheers-
    Don McAdams
    McAdams AutoSport
    www.McAdamsAutoSport.com
    '95 E34 525iT
    '88 E30 ///M3
    '85 E30 325e
    Vero Beach, FL