GO FISHING, use SLABSAUCE Fishing Attractant
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Ot, while i'm posting unusual photos, here's a vw that

Default Ot, while i'm posting unusual photos, here's a vw that

i changed the brake hoses on last week... if your hoses are more than 8 years old its probably a good idea to change them.. The picture doesn't do these justice, when you looked at them after cutting the hose in two they were almost completely plugged up.. so it would allow fluid to flow through under the terrific amount of pressure that you have when you press the brake pedal but when you let up there lines were clogged enough not to let the calipers retract and he was cooking the brakes and rotors on this Volkswagen.

whats clogged them? Looks like rust, if the brakes were bled every few years you think it would prevent this?
    95 E34 530I V2.37
    ===========
    Those who make peaceful revolution impossible will make violent revolution inevitable.

John F. Kennedy

Default No, its not rust, thats like a cloth layer that your seeing that looks

like the color of rust... the rubber layer below that just swells up and closes the hose.. I guess the rubber just breaks down with age..

Quote Originally Posted by 632 Regal
    whats clogged them? Looks like rust, if the brakes were bled every few years you think it would prevent this?

Hey! I remember having that problem and fix in the olden days - problem would present as brake drag that you could hear and feel - especially on the front. Happened on more than one type 1 - wonder if the VWs were especially prone to the problem. Nice pic.
    Tom Walrod - lotsa air cooled work paid the bills

Default Actually i see if on all the euro cars when they get old.. i

change a lot of mercedes s class brake lines for the same reason..

Quote Originally Posted by calmloki
    Hey! I remember having that problem and fix in the olden days - problem would present as brake drag that you could hear and feel - especially on the front. Happened on more than one type 1 - wonder if the VWs were especially prone to the problem. Nice pic.
    Tom Walrod - lotsa air cooled work paid the bills

so which brake lines should i fix on the e34?

www.KaRealtySF.com
    Build Date: 05-1995 /Engine: m50tu /Automatic Transmission /ABS /NO ASC /Open Differential /EAT Chip

the ones that aren't made of metal

Quote Originally Posted by liquidtiger720
    so which brake lines should i fix on the e34?
    all america wants is cold beer warm cat and a place to take a poop with a door on it

dot 3 in a dot 4 car maybe? like the old brit cars how lotsa stuff turns to jello in the presence of the alcohol in the dot 3, or what usually kills the master cylinder grommets on bmws. i think it sucks how it's almost hard to find dot 4 i've been in some parts stores that don't have anything but dot 3, only one place i know of in baton rouge that still sells castrol gtlma dot 4 is the big pep boys, we get ate in a 5 liter can from our parts sorce

Quote Originally Posted by Bill R.
    like the color of rust... the rubber layer below that just swells up and closes the hose.. I guess the rubber just breaks down with age..
    all america wants is cold beer warm cat and a place to take a poop with a door on it

thanks, Bill. I guess I need to study up on my brake lines so that I can figure out how to change them. Any words of wisdom pertaining to this matter?

I had the LF hose fail on mine last spring. No actual hose burst, but it had started leaking internally causing a blister to form on the oustide of the hose. Brake pedal was feeling a bit soft but not drastic. I think if I'd made a panic stop with the hose in that condition it might have burst. Changed all 6 hoses for about $100 in parts.
    Anthony
    03/64 production

'91M5 - 11/90, was mine, it's Jim's now.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast