GO FISHING, use SLABSAUCE Fishing Attractant
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: cock eyed park lights

Default cock eyed park lights

I'm having dramas with my park lights being different intensities. I've just changed both the globes so they are both the same. The lenses are both clean and the wiring seems to be in good nick. You know how much of a b**ch it is to clean the connections. Does this look familiar to anyone? Once again I'm splitting hairs... Just like everyone else. All beer is good. Some are better than others.
    http://i30.photobucket.com/albums/c3...968/lights.jpg
    Cheers

Wingman
    '89 525i/A Exec 193000kms
    '94 Subaru Liberty AWD Wagon
    Looking for Merc 300TE
    NSW, Australia

Those are used for visiblilty, not illumination, correct? AFAIK we don't have anything like that in the States, and for sure I've never seen a reflector equipped for this function. Assuming that the reflectors are the correct ones for the application, and in good condition, it could be differences in the bulb. Different manufacturers might mount the filament differently, and at different distances from the base, yet sell the bulb as "P/N XXXX". The bulb sockets are seated properly?

any issues i have had with different intensities has always been cured by getting a new pair of bulbs.Have you checked the grounds?
    Gone but not forgotten

Quote Originally Posted by Paul in NZ
    any issues i have had with different intensities has always been cured by getting a new pair of bulbs.Have you checked the grounds?
    The bulbs came as a pair in a packet so they 'should' be identical. As for the grounds, where are they?
    Cheers

Wingman
    Looking for Merc 300TE
    NSW, Australia

mate,they are everywhere.But almost every circuit on theses cars has its own ground it seems.I will study bentley but sometimes its not helpful for our euro cars electrical systems
    Gone but not forgotten

Do they light at about the same color and intensity? If they're the same color that rules out the supply and ground wiring, leaving differences in the reflector or bulb mounting.

I will preface this by saying that I know nothing about auto electrics, however I agree with the other posters in that in my experience every time I take a anything to the auto sparkie with this sort of problem it turns out to be the earth (ground).

"I'm not the village idiot.
    But when he retires I'm next on the list."

Quote Originally Posted by SRR2
    Do they light at about the same color and intensity? If they're the same color that rules out the supply and ground wiring, leaving differences in the reflector or bulb mounting.
    My pic is a shocker I klnow. The nearside one looks like it is getting about hlf of the power of the offside. As stated the lens/reflector is clean and in good nick. I'll look for the ground. Thanks all for the advice.
    Cheers

Wingman
    Looking for Merc 300TE
    NSW, Australia

Quote Originally Posted by Zeuk in Oz
    I will preface this by saying that I know nothing about auto electrics, however I agree with the other posters in that in my experience every time I take a anything to the auto sparkie with this sort of problem it turns out to be the earth (ground).
    Wingman, on my car my parks lights only bring on the lower intensity setting on each side- the little 10W bulb in the top of the lamp.

I am sure this is normal... however in your pic it is evident that the drivers side (RHD car) is running its main beam.

Have you your headlights switched on or just the parks? If just the parks, you need to be chasing why the main beam is activated in which case, perhaps you have an aftermarket alarm that flashes the lights or something else which is screwing things up? Nick

Beware peeps stateside, as not all of you will know Euro lights work completetly differently to US spec lights.
    Last edited by genphreak; 02-05-2006 at 09:34 PM.

Join the Aussie
    540i LE yahoo forum

08/88 535i e34 M30+miller MAF, 'stiens, tints & teeth!

It does appear from the pic that the main beam is on but the offside is actually just the park light! (both identical 10w globes). This pic (taken with phone at dusk), is the light switch in position 1 with engine off. As you know this will not allow the main beams to fire up (wont in P1 anyway but you know that). The pic was mainly just to show how much of a difference there is. I'll get a decent camera one day...
    Cheers

Wingman
    Looking for Merc 300TE
    NSW, Australia

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast