GO FISHING, use SLABSAUCE Fishing Attractant

Thread: Mirror Removal

Default Mirror Removal

Hi, I am new to these forums and I have a little problem with my 94 525i. I know BMW changed the mirror style in 92 for the exterior mirrors, however I do not know how to remove the glass from the mirror housing. I have a bentley manual and it says that there is a hole under my mirror, but there is none, so how do I take out the glass? Thanks for your help.

Hmm. Interesting - just checked Bentley and my '93 525iT and we're in the same boat! Your mirror connects to the car with a "stalk" at the lower corner rather than all along one side, as the Bentley picture shows?
    Tom Walrod

i had a junk mirror that i got to experiment with so i got a screwdriver and pried very lightly and it popped right off.

Pried what - I've R&Red mirrors on E28 and E30 - this is different. Are you prying off the body colored forward shell first?
    Tom Walrod

Just pry it off, they are clip on.

Default Use the adjuster and turn it up as much as possible.

The carefully pry it forward, it is clipon and clip off as everyone says.

Quote Originally Posted by jjw
    Just pry it off, they are clip on.

Guys - hate being stupid, but WHAT are you prying? The glass only? Can someone take a pic of the back of (whatever) showing the clips? Sounds like a totally different thing than the E28 or E30 rotating locking ring setup.
    Thanks, Tom Walrod

Quote Originally Posted by calmloki
    Guys - hate being stupid, but WHAT are you prying? The glass only? Can someone take a pic of the back of (whatever) showing the clips? Sounds like a totally different thing than the E28 or E30 rotating locking ring setup.
    Thanks, Tom Walrod
    On the e28, e30 and early e34 mirrors, you have to know how to stick a screwdriver into the hole. It takes a knack and prying breaks the mechanism.

On the later e34 ones you just pry- I use all my fingers along the plastic mirror edge to prevent the mirror bending from a point load (should you be silly and use a screwdriver! Beware of the heater element wires connected to the mirror when it pops Nick

Join the Aussie
    540i LE yahoo forum

08/88 535i e34 M30+miller MAF, 'stiens, tints & teeth!

" Use the adjuster and turn it up as much as possible. The carefully pry it forward, it is clipon and clip off as everyone says."

"On the later e34 ones you just pry- I use all my fingers along the plastic mirror edge to prevent the mirror bending from a point load (should you be silly and use a screwdriver! Beware of the heater element wires connected to the mirror when it pops."

Thanks, all is now clear - hate those "Oh ****!" moments when you realize you were prying the wrong thing or in the wrong direction. Usually accompanied by the snap of breking attachment bits.
    Tom