GO FISHING, use SLABSAUCE Fishing Attractant

Thread: Replacing heater matrix on E34??

Default Replacing heater matrix on E34??

Hi guys.Ive been really chuffed with my new car but i seem to have a problem with it steaming up inside. I noticed it was misting up on the passenger side last night. But today it has got much worse. I think the heater matrix may have a pin hole leak. Funny thing is it seems to be only on the passenger side. The car has aircon and separate temp controls for the passenger and driver. So I'm thinking there maybe two heater Matrix`s one for each side.

Am i correct?? What they like to change??

Thanks for looking. Clack

No, there's only one.

See this thread:

http://www.bimmer.info/forum/showthread.php?t=17981

Or this one:

http://www.bimmer.info/forum/showthread.php?t=17970

Or search for "heater core". It's a common problem. Here're some instructions for fixing it:

http://www.homeofsbc.com/Fixes/Heater/heater.htm

The consensus seems to be that it is a reasonable DIY job, but VERY time consuming -- 8-10 hours.

Jay Lebo - Toronto, Canada
    1990 BMW 535i
    5-speed conversion
    Lightened flywheel
    Sachs Suspension Kit
    E.A.T. Chip

OHH MAN!!! What a ball ache. Its the middle of winter over here. Thanks for the advice jajlebo. It the problem alright. I'm not sure what to do. I haven't paid for the car so Ive got to decide if its economically smart to do. Its a real shame because it drives perfectly but it needs Tax , MOT and small bits of body work doing. It all adds up. Including a good service. What i thought was a bargain is suddenly becoming expensive. Decisions decisions!!

Quote Originally Posted by clack
    What i thought was a bargain is suddenly becoming expensive. Decisions decisions!!
    Yup, that'll happen.

You can do what I did: wipe the inside of the windshield with anti-fog stuff, NEVER open the defroster vents, and wait til next year to actually fix the problem.

Jay Lebo - Toronto, Canada
    1990 BMW 535i
    5-speed conversion
    Lightened flywheel
    Sachs Suspension Kit
    E.A.T. Chip

LOL. Heres a pic of my last car. When it rains it pours!!

Happened on the 30th of december. I was over taking a car that decided to turn without indicating. It knocked me off the road into a house "HAPPY NEW YEAR!!!"

Quote Originally Posted by clack
    LOL. Heres a pic of my last car. When it rains it pours!! Happened on the 30th of december. I was over taking a car that decided to turn without indicating. It knocked me off the road into a house "HAPPY NEW YEAR!!!"
    Awww man, Our thoughts are with you in your time of a horiffic loss... at least you hadn't bought all the new bits, spent a day fixing the core, 2 days fixiing rattles and squeaks and then had someone do that to you. Thing is, if you have such a proble, you have to fix it else you go driving along, fog up and then run into soemthing (you can't therefore see)... Good luck w the insurance! Nick

Join the Aussie
    540i LE yahoo forum

08/88 535i e34 M30+miller MAF, 'stiens, tints & teeth!

Cheers nick. Got some good news today though(for once!! LOL) The guy i bought the 5 off said get the core done and he will knock the cost off the price i paid for the car. So Im happy again.

Im gutted about my E36 sport it was truly mint before the smash. Heres my favorite pic.