GO FISHING, use SLABSAUCE Fishing Attractant
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: thinking of leaving the e34 community!?

Default thinking of leaving the e34 community!?

i was thinking about it, and looking at cars to buy and i figured out a viable 2 car option i was considering, want to know what you think.

heres the plan, for the winter months in MI, i was thinking like a 1999 jeep grand chrokee, or maybe just a chrokee to save on price.

for the summer i was thinking small british roadster, like a tr6, though i like the coupe (gt6) i wonder if i would miss the e34 too much?

I'd prefer an E34 w/ traction control & snow tires to a Cherokee anyday.... I live in MA and pass Jeeps on the roads all the time... although that is likely b/c most people are idiots and cant drive in inclement weather...

My E24 is my warm weather car, E34 winter... possibly 2nd warm weather addition in 2006 of an E36 or other 3 series... Entering my 6th winter, the E34 has never let me down with her snow shoes on... knock on wood... and I've drived in some doozies
    Current
    2008 M5 6 Spd
    2000 Z3 2.8 5 Spd MSport
    2012 X5 35d Sport
    1995 540i 6 Spd
    1992 535i 5 Spd

Former
    1995 530iA
    1986 635CSI 5 Spd
    2011 X3 2.8 MSport

I've also thought about selling the e34 ... but I honestly can't figure out what I would buy instead. I'd probably come right back to e34/e32. There is such a hot 88 735i for sale near me ... wish I had 5900 to blow on a car right now. My God.

With the two cars you mentioned, I certainly would miss the E34. Neither a Cherokee or a Triumph offers the comfort and performance of the BMW.

A Jaguar XJ-S has the Bimmer beat on comfort and, IMHO, style. I'd buy one.

A Porsche 944 Turbo or 928 S4 offers at least as much as the E34, if you can spare losing a couple of seats.

If I could, I'd sell my E34 and have both an XJ-S and a 944 Turbo. But since I can only afford one European car, I think the E34 is the best all 'rounder there is.

Jay Lebo - Toronto, Canada
    1990 BMW 535i
    5-speed conversion
    Lightened flywheel
    Sachs Suspension Kit
    E.A.T. Chip

I run the e34... and my mini van.... drive the van in the winter.... and the bmw all summer...

It works ok.... (the Van is emotial in the cold)
    If it cannot be fixed by the dremel or ducktape.. get out the sledge...
    --------------------------------------------------------------------
    I miss my e34

Quote Originally Posted by kyleN20
    i was thinking about it, and looking at cars to buy and i figured out a viable 2 car option i was considering, want to know what you think.

heres the plan, for the winter months in MI, i was thinking like a 1999 jeep grand chrokee, or maybe just a chrokee to save on price.

for the summer i was thinking small british roadster, like a tr6, though i like the coupe (gt6) i wonder if i would miss the e34 too much?

If you don't want a better handling vehicle, and you're willing to throw reliability out the window... than sure what you listed will do nicely.

Seriously though, a buddy and I had to tow a Jeep Cherokee out of an 8 inch snowbank once. No Joke. Jeeps suck (except wranglers, and even they are very limited duty).

If you're looking for performance and handling and worried about inclement weather... get a Subaru WRX or somethin' like it.

94 540i / 255k / 165k on the alusil / E.A.T. chip / Power Discs w/Akebono Pro Ceramic / E39 type 33's

-Brandon G

Except the new Jeep Commander that kicks ass, C&D I think called it the best off road vehicle on the market... but then your talking $40k....

Quote Originally Posted by Beez540
    If you don't want a better handling vehicle, and you're willing to throw reliability out the window... than sure what you listed will do nicely.

Seriously though, a buddy and I had to tow a Jeep Cherokee out of an 8 inch snowbank once. No Joke. Jeeps suck (except wranglers, and even they are very limited duty).

If you're looking for performance and handling and worried about inclement weather... get a Subaru WRX or somethin' like it.
    Current
    2008 M5 6 Spd
    2000 Z3 2.8 5 Spd MSport
    2012 X5 35d Sport
    1995 540i 6 Spd
    1992 535i 5 Spd

Former
    1995 530iA
    1986 635CSI 5 Spd
    2011 X3 2.8 MSport

i suppose your trying to tell me that a wrx is better then a grand chrokee off road. and jeeps dont suck, they are actully quite a ride, and one of the only serious suv's. trust me if i had funds i wouldent be driving the e34, id already be in the wrx. grand chees are awsome in the snow and the incident you observed was mosy likly due to driver error, or possibly a 2wd model

I have owned a TR-6. Great fun car. I have a word of advice PRICE A GOOD ONE. You will spend as much owning a TR-6 than you will an e34. Don't buy a cheap one and hope to fix it up.

Once again, it was an incredibly fun car to drive.

Well a Triumph could be fun, not fast, not reliable, but fun no doubt.

Any Jeep other than a Wrangler is a bad idea IMO. The transmission will go for sure, it's a pig on gas, they don't handle well at all, and don't ride particularly well either. Not fun, just semi-reliable, expensive transportation.

May I suggest, if you want an SUV with some fun baked in, a Mazda Tribute.

As for a summer roadster, make life easy for yourself and get a Miata.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast